American Pit Bull
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

American Pit Bull

The American Icon. The American Pit Bull Terrier.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The APBT in a pack setting

Go down 
+9
keith
Shades
lovemypits
pitmamma
Tcarter
buzhunter
RedDoggy
Sadieblues
Admin
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Admin
ADMIN
Admin

Male
Number of posts : 1050
Personalized field : BACK IN ACTION!
Warnings :
The APBT in a pack setting Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100The APBT in a pack setting Right_bar_bleue

The APBT in a pack setting Empty
PostSubject: The APBT in a pack setting   The APBT in a pack setting Icon_minitimeSat 05 Jul 2008, 3:51 pm

Some of us have had this discussion before but I think it's a good topic.
Do you think the APBT could live in a pack setting givin the fact that pack mentality is one of the most primal instincts of a dog??
Back to top Go down
http://www.americanpitbull-forums.com
Sadieblues
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sadieblues

Female
Number of posts : 722
Personalized field : WISE GUY
Warnings :
The APBT in a pack setting Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100The APBT in a pack setting Right_bar_bleue

PostSubject: Re: The APBT in a pack setting   The APBT in a pack setting Icon_minitimeSat 05 Jul 2008, 3:53 pm

Yes I think so as long as the pack is not all apbt's LOL
Back to top Go down
RedDoggy
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
RedDoggy

Male
Number of posts : 764
Personalized field : A Fan Of StockYardKennels
Warnings :

PostSubject: Re: The APBT in a pack setting   The APBT in a pack setting Icon_minitimeSat 05 Jul 2008, 4:41 pm

I don't. I think it's funny that I watch traing video for APBTs talking about how things were when they ran in packs, and I'm like Pit Bulls were in packs? They tend to be DA, that's what they were bred for, the problem is that a fight in the pack would be to the death if no one was there to stop it. They are great family dogs, but most APBTs don't really care for animal companionship all that much.
Back to top Go down
Sadieblues
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sadieblues

Female
Number of posts : 722
Personalized field : WISE GUY
Warnings :

PostSubject: Re: The APBT in a pack setting   The APBT in a pack setting Icon_minitimeSat 05 Jul 2008, 4:52 pm

RedDoggy wrote:
I don't. I think it's funny that I watch traing video for APBTs talking about how things were when they ran in packs, and I'm like Pit Bulls were in packs? They tend to be DA, that's what they were bred for, the problem is that a fight in the pack would be to the death if no one was there to stop it. They are great family dogs, but most APBTs don't really care for animal companionship all that much.

I would agree it would have to be a supervised pack you never know when the apbt may want to rumble.
Back to top Go down
buzhunter
V.I.P.
buzhunter

Male
Number of posts : 347
Warnings :

PostSubject: Re: The APBT in a pack setting   The APBT in a pack setting Icon_minitimeSun 06 Jul 2008, 2:38 am

Yeah, lol, we've done this before. All depends on what you consider to be a pit bull. Pack mentality is a basic instinct but an ideal bulldog will not recognize dominance or submission, both fundamentals of pack order. Ideal specimens? No way. Todays pet bull version, maybe. Good topic, boss. I'm interested to read the opinions.
Back to top Go down
Tcarter

Tcarter

Male
Number of posts : 129
Warnings :

PostSubject: Re: The APBT in a pack setting   The APBT in a pack setting Icon_minitimeSun 06 Jul 2008, 10:11 am

well i'e seen it done before.I don't know how well it works for him but he crates all but one at night and lets them out when they are home during the day. He's had some scuffles but nothing serious. This isn't something that just anybody should attempt!
Back to top Go down
Admin
ADMIN
Admin

Male
Warnings :

PostSubject: Re: The APBT in a pack setting   The APBT in a pack setting Icon_minitimeSun 06 Jul 2008, 4:08 pm

I don't remember who it was but last time we discussed this someone made a good point that it happened after the disaster from hurricane Katrina. Pitbulls were found running together in packs.
Back to top Go down
pitmamma

pitmamma

Female
Number of posts : 167
Personalized field : \"Lurker\"
Warnings :

PostSubject: Re: The APBT in a pack setting   The APBT in a pack setting Icon_minitimeSun 06 Jul 2008, 4:25 pm

I think it just depends on the individual dogs. If there is a strong Alpha and no other dog tries to step into that role, all can go well...that being said, that is when the problems start.
Back to top Go down
lovemypits
Greeter
lovemypits

Female
Number of posts : 166
Warnings :

PostSubject: Re: The APBT in a pack setting   The APBT in a pack setting Icon_minitimeSun 06 Jul 2008, 8:09 pm

pitmamma wrote:
I think it just depends on the individual dogs. If there is a strong Alpha and no other dog tries to step into that role, all can go well...that being said, that is when the problems start.

I agree Tami. Harley is great in a "pack" setting (supervised) as long as no other dogs try to be top dog. As soon as that happens Har is removed. That is why I normaly keep him to just Sasha and a very very small select group of dogs.
Back to top Go down
Shades

Male
Number of posts : 148
Warnings :

PostSubject: Re: The APBT in a pack setting   The APBT in a pack setting Icon_minitimeSun 06 Jul 2008, 8:11 pm

I would think if it were just two or three it would be a problem. Any more than that they would be fine. Cause then they would probably act more like a pact.
Back to top Go down
keith

Male
Number of posts : 63
Warnings :

PostSubject: Re: The APBT in a pack setting   The APBT in a pack setting Icon_minitimeSun 06 Jul 2008, 10:07 pm

All dogs are idividuals no matter the breed,so i'd say yes in ceartin cases a apbt can live harmonously in a pack with other dogs,but typically id say it isnt the breeds strong suit...........
Back to top Go down
american_pit13

american_pit13

Female
Number of posts : 24
Personalized field : Pits Are For Chicks
Warnings :

PostSubject: Re: The APBT in a pack setting   The APBT in a pack setting Icon_minitimeSun 06 Jul 2008, 11:24 pm

No I don't think they would be able to live as a pitbull pack. Pitbulls have issues with letting the dogs work out the domanace order. They tend to kill . They usually don't stop fighting "if" the other dog gives a submission sign. They just keep fighting. That would be one tore up pack of dogs that would end up getting eatten my a wild chihuhua pack.lol
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/krugerpitbbulls
american_pit13

american_pit13

Female
Number of posts : 24
Personalized field : Pits Are For Chicks
Warnings :

PostSubject: Re: The APBT in a pack setting   The APBT in a pack setting Icon_minitimeSun 06 Jul 2008, 11:26 pm

Admin wrote:
Pitbulls were found running together in packs.

They are smart dogs grin
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/krugerpitbbulls
Admin
ADMIN
Admin

Male
Warnings :

PostSubject: Re: The APBT in a pack setting   The APBT in a pack setting Icon_minitimeMon 07 Jul 2008, 6:47 am

Just to step it up a bit, Gameness can be quickly lost which leads me to believe that even by a fluke if a pack were able to get along long enough to produce off spring and grow, that pack order could be achieved..Did that make sense?
Back to top Go down
BlueBullyBabe
V.I.P.
BlueBullyBabe

Number of posts : 477
Personalized field : Possessed By The Devil... AKA RedDoggy!
Warnings :

PostSubject: Re: The APBT in a pack setting   The APBT in a pack setting Icon_minitimeMon 07 Jul 2008, 12:30 pm

Well my "Pack" gets along great. Granted Tank is an old man and really could care less what goes on around him most of the time, and he's a mix. Sway and Tumble are full sisters and Sway has made her standing above Tumble rather well known and Tumble is content in her spot, she's so horribly submissive. Lugz though we'll see. He's only 7 weeks but the boy is not afriad to take on the two girls, He growled at them when they came inside yesterday, nice deep low...leave me alone growl.

I think it can work, just depends on the dogs. They are however, NEVER together unsupervised. If I am not home they are all in their seperate runs.

Last edited by BlueBullyBabe on Mon 07 Jul 2008, 12:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Tcarter

Tcarter

Male
Warnings :

PostSubject: Re: The APBT in a pack setting   The APBT in a pack setting Icon_minitimeMon 07 Jul 2008, 12:30 pm

Admin wrote:
Just to step it up a bit, Gameness can be quickly lost which leads me to believe that even by a fluke if a pack were able to get along long enough to produce off spring and grow, that pack order could be achieved..Did that make sense?

I'm lost duh
Back to top Go down
pitmamma

pitmamma

Female
Warnings :

PostSubject: Re: The APBT in a pack setting   The APBT in a pack setting Icon_minitimeMon 07 Jul 2008, 1:17 pm

Eric, I get what you are saying...I think that could work but not always. When those pups grow up most will stay submissive (just due to that is how it works) but there will be one (probably a male) that will get a hair up his a$$ and try to take over. It will most likely not work, he will be weaker, smaller and more inmature....But that doea not mean he will not try. There may even be situations where the siblings will fight to try to pick the order under the alpha. Now if the alpha is a strong alpha he will put a stop to it.
Several years ago I had a pack. There was 8 bulldogs living together in one yard. Never one time was there a fight. The alpha was a female. If two of the other dogs would start in Mia would get in the middle of it and lets just say it stopped real fast. Never lost one dog in that situation.
But I guess my point is, lol, it can and does happen. It just depends on the dynamics of the situation and the individual dogs.
Back to top Go down
Tcarter

Tcarter

Male
Warnings :

PostSubject: Re: The APBT in a pack setting   The APBT in a pack setting Icon_minitimeMon 07 Jul 2008, 1:31 pm

i guess i can see it happening but don't think it would fit ME well to have over 3 bulldogs
Back to top Go down
buzhunter
V.I.P.
buzhunter

Male
Number of posts : 347
Warnings :

PostSubject: Re: The APBT in a pack setting   The APBT in a pack setting Icon_minitimeMon 07 Jul 2008, 2:54 pm

pitmamma wrote:
It just depends on the dynamics of the situation and the individual dogs.

That's pretty much it right there. There are many variables that are not established here. The majority of pit buls that people keep are just pet quality dogs, wp dogs, conf dogs. The majority of thoes types are not bred with the preservation of the breed in mind. Sure, that makes the idea of a "pack" easier to swallow. So what are we talking about here? Are we talking pets or pits? What constitutes the pack? Dogs living together at someones house or a pack formed out of necessity for survival with no human laedership? Sure there are a lot of dogs that live harmoniously at home with thier human leaders but there are also plenty of yards full of real bulldogs where everyone stays seperated on chain set ups or kennels as a necessity for their survival. The very concept of this dog contradicts every aspect of pack mentality but then again, so do most specimens these days. Let's decide a few factors here and get everyone on the same page.
Back to top Go down
pitmamma

pitmamma

Female
Warnings :

PostSubject: Re: The APBT in a pack setting   The APBT in a pack setting Icon_minitimeMon 07 Jul 2008, 5:08 pm

Agreed Buz
Back to top Go down
Tcarter

Tcarter

Male
Warnings :

PostSubject: Re: The APBT in a pack setting   The APBT in a pack setting Icon_minitimeMon 07 Jul 2008, 5:36 pm

Well I'm talking APBT "PITBULL" bred with the preservation of the breed in mind. Living with humans or without i don't see a dog bred tight to accept being # 2 to another same sex dog. i have seen male and female though
Back to top Go down
Admin
ADMIN
Admin

Male
Warnings :

PostSubject: Re: The APBT in a pack setting   The APBT in a pack setting Icon_minitimeMon 07 Jul 2008, 6:45 pm

Tcarter wrote:
Well I'm talking APBT "PITBULL" bred with the preservation of the breed in mind. Living with humans or without i don't see a dog bred tight to accept being # 2 to another same sex dog. i have seen male and female though

And that's it right there, That's all it would take and we all know game dogs don't produce an entire liter of game pups..
Back to top Go down
pitmamma

pitmamma

Female
Warnings :

PostSubject: Re: The APBT in a pack setting   The APBT in a pack setting Icon_minitimeMon 07 Jul 2008, 7:54 pm

Admin wrote:
Tcarter wrote:

And that's it right there, That's all it would take and we all know game dogs don't produce an entire liter of game pups..

That is kinda what I was trying to say. As long as no one tries to take over that role then all can be fine. Even if one does try to take over, if he is immedietly put in his place then all can go well. But if you have one that constantly goes for it (more game) then it will not end well, at least for that one.
Back to top Go down
Tcarter

Tcarter

Male
Warnings :

PostSubject: Re: The APBT in a pack setting   The APBT in a pack setting Icon_minitimeMon 07 Jul 2008, 8:02 pm

Admin wrote:
Tcarter wrote:

Yeah but if one of them aren't fixed then a litter will occur and there will be that 1 dog that decides it should be the leader and wham O now thats running wild in magic land the stuff that i've seen is lock the femail up during heat
Back to top Go down
Admin
ADMIN
Admin

Male
Warnings :

PostSubject: Re: The APBT in a pack setting   The APBT in a pack setting Icon_minitimeMon 07 Jul 2008, 8:20 pm

pitmamma wrote:
Admin wrote:
Tcarter wrote:

That is kinda what I was trying to say. As long as no one tries to take over that role then all can be fine. Even if one does try to take over, if he is immedietly put in his place then all can go well. But if you have one that constantly goes for it (more game) then it will not end well, at least for that one.

Yeah, That's how I see it anyway..lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The APBT in a pack setting   The APBT in a pack setting Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The APBT in a pack setting
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next