American Pit Bull
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

American Pit Bull

The American Icon. The American Pit Bull Terrier.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

What age to bring PUP home?

Go down 
+5
RedDoggy
Sadieblues
Admin
NesOne
Tcarter
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
BlueBullyBabe
V.I.P.
BlueBullyBabe

Number of posts : 477
Personalized field : Possessed By The Devil... AKA RedDoggy!
Warnings :
What age to bring PUP home? - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100What age to bring PUP home? - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

What age to bring PUP home? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What age to bring PUP home?   What age to bring PUP home? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 10 Jul 2008, 7:08 pm

I brought Lugz home at 6.5 weeks also. So far no real issues except he is SUPER bonded to me, I am a little worried about anxiety problems so I try to ignore him when I'm home for a while every couple of hours.

Im not sure if its illegal in Idaho or not. I was no planning on getting him until 8 weeks, but the breeder called and said to come pick them him up, his littermates where all gone save for one. And the mom was starting to get real mean to them ( not the usual, hey don't bug me mean, but like hunt them down and bite mean ). So hes home. I am hoping since the girls are puppies still also it will help.
Back to top Go down
redsky

redsky

Female
Number of posts : 34
Warnings :
What age to bring PUP home? - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100What age to bring PUP home? - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

PostSubject: Re: What age to bring PUP home?   What age to bring PUP home? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 13 Jul 2008, 10:46 am

Pups are okay to leave mom at 6wks but I do try to hold mine till 8wks just to make sure they have received enough training from mom to make transition into the new family easier. They do better with house breaking and such from my experience when they've had that extra time but I have had vets till me to separate pups from mom at four weeks if mom is food aggressive as she would kill the pups so it all depends on how good a mom the dog is when the pups should or could be pulled.
Back to top Go down
http://www.redskypitbulls.net
redsky

redsky

Female
Number of posts : 34
Warnings :

PostSubject: Re: What age to bring PUP home?   What age to bring PUP home? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 13 Jul 2008, 10:51 am

I know in IL the pup has to be 8 weeks to leave mom but plenty of people break that rule. Honestly if I could I would take my pup at six weeks because you never know if someone is training the pup as you would or just letting them sit in a kennel or back yard. I've been totally disgusted by some breeders I had previously thought were top notch soon as I find out some of their ways! I got chaka at six weeks, midas at ten weeks, kong at 8 weeks now of all of them who has been the easiest to train Midas of course but then he came from an excellant breeder as well who had him totally house trained when I got him. Kong has been great as well but starting out I could have killed miss chaka she was very hard to kennel train and took almost a year to house train! So yeah I do think it's best to let them stay with mom longer yet if the breeder isn't training them or mom is just a sucky mom I prefer to get my pup asap.
Back to top Go down
http://www.redskypitbulls.net
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What age to bring PUP home?   What age to bring PUP home? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What age to bring PUP home?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2