American Pit Bull
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

American Pit Bull

The American Icon. The American Pit Bull Terrier.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

What age to bring PUP home?

Go down 
+5
RedDoggy
Sadieblues
Admin
NesOne
Tcarter
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Tcarter

Tcarter

Male
Number of posts : 129
Warnings :
What age to bring PUP home? Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100What age to bring PUP home? Right_bar_bleue

What age to bring PUP home? Empty
PostSubject: What age to bring PUP home?   What age to bring PUP home? Icon_minitimeThu 03 Jul 2008, 4:12 pm

Well this is my 3rd pup about 6th dog? I've always brought them home at 8 weeks 10 weeks and one at 6 weeks. Now i've just got another APBT at 6 weeks. I know that they SHOULD stay with mom and siblings untill at least 8 weeks for a lot of reasons. But bringing him home early is looking to be very promising he doesn't have any bad manners that he would have learned from breeders/mom and pups. He was just starting the whole surroundings, what scares me, and learning phases. So i have taken him every where so he isn't scared of nothing it seems like he sits there while i vaccum and all. He peed in his crate the first night.But hasn't since then i feed him at 630am and 6pm he goes out at 7pm and again about 1030-1100 and sleeps untill 6am. I have started to train him to walk on the leash he hits the brakes every now and again but is doing real well. He is already learning to sit as well i'm still using food to motivate..even with his feedings he must sit about 4 feet away and wait untill my hands are off the food dish. So i feel that if you are a responsible owner and KNOW what your doing you could really get your dog off to a great start but catching them at the begining of the learning cycle 6-7 weeks instead of the end 8-16 weeks. the only thing he does is play nip but that is expected and i correct every time i get a chance.
Back to top Go down
NesOne
NesOne

Male
Number of posts : 505
Personalized field : OH WELL...
Warnings :
What age to bring PUP home? Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100What age to bring PUP home? Right_bar_bleue

PostSubject: Re: What age to bring PUP home?   What age to bring PUP home? Icon_minitimeThu 03 Jul 2008, 4:24 pm

Personally, I think that as long as they are eating dog food already, they are good to go.
Back to top Go down
Tcarter

Tcarter

Male
Warnings :

PostSubject: Re: What age to bring PUP home?   What age to bring PUP home? Icon_minitimeThu 03 Jul 2008, 4:25 pm

yeah he was eating exceed from SAMS CLUB.
Back to top Go down
Admin
ADMIN
Admin

Male
Number of posts : 1050
Personalized field : BACK IN ACTION!
Warnings :

PostSubject: Re: What age to bring PUP home?   What age to bring PUP home? Icon_minitimeThu 03 Jul 2008, 4:26 pm

NesOne wrote:
Personally, I think that as long as they are eating dog food already, they are good to go.

Agreed.... beer
Back to top Go down
http://www.americanpitbull-forums.com
Sadieblues
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sadieblues

Female
Number of posts : 722
Personalized field : WISE GUY
Warnings :

PostSubject: Re: What age to bring PUP home?   What age to bring PUP home? Icon_minitimeFri 04 Jul 2008, 1:31 am

NesOne wrote:

Yeah I agree I know at least from what I have heard that 8 weeks is the rule of thumb. But I know of many people who have gotten their dogs at 6 weeks. My sisters dog was an exception because he was a runt. And he could hardly walk very well the first couple of days the pup was just weak. So the vet made us bottle feed him esbilac and we hand fed wet food,the vet also put him on a liquid antibiotic called clovamax. In a few days the pup was like brand new. I think every situation is different.
Back to top Go down
RedDoggy
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
RedDoggy

Male
Number of posts : 764
Personalized field : A Fan Of StockYardKennels
Warnings :

PostSubject: Re: What age to bring PUP home?   What age to bring PUP home? Icon_minitimeFri 04 Jul 2008, 2:01 am

Every situation IS different and that's why every state in the continental US has laws about what age you can seperate a pup or kitten from its mother.
Back to top Go down
Tcarter

Tcarter

Male
Warnings :

PostSubject: Re: What age to bring PUP home?   What age to bring PUP home? Icon_minitimeFri 04 Jul 2008, 2:58 am

Here is the table .....i just checked and i don't see NC on the list clap

http://www.animallaw.info/articles/ovuspuppysaletable.htm

well i'm not protected either according to this

http://www.animallaw.info/articles/ovuspetprotectionstatutes.htm
Back to top Go down
RedDoggy
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
RedDoggy

Male
Warnings :

PostSubject: Re: What age to bring PUP home?   What age to bring PUP home? Icon_minitimeFri 04 Jul 2008, 3:23 am

I've got the full list here in my favorites bin somewhere... Gimme a few
Back to top Go down
RedDoggy
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
RedDoggy

Male
Warnings :

PostSubject: Re: What age to bring PUP home?   What age to bring PUP home? Icon_minitimeFri 04 Jul 2008, 3:35 am

I thought I copied it when Patch posted it, screw it. I will say this though, And TC I'm not riding you...
During the socialization period, the development of attachment to certain locations occurs. This is displayed by an extreme disturbance in the puppy whenever a change in location occurs. This is known as “localization”. “Localization” often peaks in puppies between 6-7 weeks old, and then tapers off after that time to the point where a change in location is no longer distressing to the puppy.
Ref- dog-facts.org
Back to top Go down
Tcarter

Tcarter

Male
Warnings :

PostSubject: Re: What age to bring PUP home?   What age to bring PUP home? Icon_minitimeFri 04 Jul 2008, 9:39 am

yeah that first day i brought him home he just sat in the kennel with the door open...but after a couple of days he was coming into his own
Back to top Go down
RedDoggy
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
RedDoggy

Male
Warnings :

PostSubject: Re: What age to bring PUP home?   What age to bring PUP home? Icon_minitimeFri 04 Jul 2008, 4:49 pm

Awe...

Well dude, like I said before, I'm not ridin' you or anything, I just wanna encourage other people to wait the full 8 weeks. Circumstances happen, I understand,
Back to top Go down
Tcarter

Tcarter

Male
Warnings :

PostSubject: Re: What age to bring PUP home?   What age to bring PUP home? Icon_minitimeFri 04 Jul 2008, 5:29 pm

RedDoggy wrote:
Awe...

Well dude, like I said before, I'm not ridin' you or anything, I just wanna encourage other people to wait the full 8 weeks. Circumstances happen, I understand,

Yeah i posted this to be my expeirece only! If you are a novice i recommend 10 weeks
Back to top Go down
lovemypits
Greeter
lovemypits

Female
Number of posts : 166
Warnings :

PostSubject: Re: What age to bring PUP home?   What age to bring PUP home? Icon_minitimeSat 05 Jul 2008, 10:50 am

I brought Harley & Sasha home at 5 weeks... waaay early. The mom wanted nothing to do with the pups and the ppl were sick of feeding 11 hungry puppies. I heard about 2 weeks ago that the girl said all the pups she has heard about have DA very bad, and Harley is but Sasha is not.
Back to top Go down
Tcarter

Tcarter

Male
Warnings :

PostSubject: Re: What age to bring PUP home?   What age to bring PUP home? Icon_minitimeSat 05 Jul 2008, 11:14 am

well sounds like the owners didn't do there part in socializing the pups
Back to top Go down
Sadieblues
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sadieblues

Female
Warnings :

PostSubject: Re: What age to bring PUP home?   What age to bring PUP home? Icon_minitimeSat 05 Jul 2008, 4:39 pm

lovemypits wrote:
I brought Harley & Sasha home at 5 weeks... waaay early. The mom wanted nothing to do with the pups and the ppl were sick of feeding 11 hungry puppies. I heard about 2 weeks ago that the girl said all the pups she has heard about have DA very bad, and Harley is but Sasha is not.

Hey sounds like there were some issues there but sometimes there are situations where a mother will not have anything to do with her pups that is a case where the pups should be taken away early. Chances are if the whole litter has DA issue's there are some temperment trait flaws caused by bad breeding. So It's good you were able to get those guys out of there. And even with proper socialization from a dog owner that does not mean that the pups will not have issues with DA later on down the line. It all depends each situation is different. But I am glad your dogs do not have that issue. Just always be prepared for anything with this breed mug

Last edited by Sadieblues on Sat 05 Jul 2008, 4:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
lovemypits
Greeter
lovemypits

Female
Number of posts : 166
Warnings :

PostSubject: Re: What age to bring PUP home?   What age to bring PUP home? Icon_minitimeSat 05 Jul 2008, 4:52 pm

Oh absolutely. Harley started getting selective DA around 2yrs... it has just progressed and gotten worse over the past year. I'm just extra careful with him when other dogs are near. Male dogs at least. And like i said.. sasha is sweet as pie.
Back to top Go down
Sadieblues
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sadieblues

Female
Warnings :

PostSubject: Re: What age to bring PUP home?   What age to bring PUP home? Icon_minitimeSat 05 Jul 2008, 4:54 pm

lovemypits wrote:
Oh absolutely. Harley started getting selective DA around 2yrs... it has just progressed and gotten worse over the past year. I'm just extra careful with him when other dogs are near. Male dogs at least. And like i said.. sasha is sweet as pie.

Yup you got the right idea thumbu beer
Back to top Go down
midwest_showdogs
V.I.P.
midwest_showdogs

Male
Number of posts : 132
Warnings :

PostSubject: Re: What age to bring PUP home?   What age to bring PUP home? Icon_minitimeSat 05 Jul 2008, 4:55 pm

id say about 8 to 10 weeks old i beleive that pups get alot of info from its mother and then need to learn how to be a dog from there mother. then you can take them and teach them farther
Back to top Go down
Sadieblues
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sadieblues

Female
Warnings :

PostSubject: Re: What age to bring PUP home?   What age to bring PUP home? Icon_minitimeSat 05 Jul 2008, 5:09 pm

midwest_showdogs wrote:
id say about 8 to 10 weeks old i beleive that pups get alot of info from its mother and then need to learn how to be a dog from there mother. then you can take them and teach them farther

Agreed goodpost
Back to top Go down
NesOne
NesOne

Male
Warnings :

PostSubject: Re: What age to bring PUP home?   What age to bring PUP home? Icon_minitimeMon 07 Jul 2008, 4:40 pm

RedDoggy wrote:
Every situation IS different and that's why every state in the continental US has laws about what age you can seperate a pup or kitten from its mother.

Based on the table that Tcarter posted, the following, is legal to do:

AZ: any age unless you are a "Pet Dealer" (person who owns a pet store), then at least 8 weeks old.
KS: any age unless you are a "Retail Breeder Licensee", then at least 8 weeks old & weaned.
MI: any age unless you are a "A person who operates a pet shop, then at least 8 weeks old.
NE: at least 6 weeks old.
NV: as long as it is weaned it's o.k., and that only applies to a retailer, dealer, or operator.
NY: any age unless you are a "Pet Dealer", then at least 8 weeks old.
Penn: at least 7 weeks old.
VA: at least 7 weeks old.

I hope I understood the table right, it states "To Whom Law Applies" therefore, if "any person" is not listed there, I understand it to be only to the what is listed...
Back to top Go down
Tcarter

Tcarter

Male
Warnings :

PostSubject: Re: What age to bring PUP home?   What age to bring PUP home? Icon_minitimeMon 07 Jul 2008, 5:32 pm

thats how i understood it as well. And i live in NC but didn't see any laws that would put me in the red zone.
Back to top Go down
NesOne
NesOne

Male
Warnings :

PostSubject: Re: What age to bring PUP home?   What age to bring PUP home? Icon_minitimeMon 07 Jul 2008, 5:41 pm

Tcarter wrote:
thats how i understood it as well. And i live in NC but didn't see any laws that would put me in the red zone.

I'm not sure if you would be in the 'red zone' anyway, because I think it only pertains to selling, and not purchasing.
Back to top Go down
Tcarter

Tcarter

Male
Warnings :

PostSubject: Re: What age to bring PUP home?   What age to bring PUP home? Icon_minitimeMon 07 Jul 2008, 7:44 pm

yeah but i didn't even see my state does that mean it's a dang free for all
Back to top Go down
NesOne
NesOne

Male
Warnings :

PostSubject: Re: What age to bring PUP home?   What age to bring PUP home? Icon_minitimeMon 07 Jul 2008, 7:51 pm

Like I always say, if it's not written down anywhere, they can't prove you did anything wrong.
Back to top Go down
Sadieblues
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sadieblues

Female
Warnings :

PostSubject: Re: What age to bring PUP home?   What age to bring PUP home? Icon_minitimeMon 07 Jul 2008, 9:44 pm

NesOne wrote:
Tcarter wrote:

I'm not sure if you would be in the 'red zone' anyway, because I think it only pertains to selling, and not purchasing.

Yeah I think they would hold the breeder responsible not the buyer. At least this is how I understood it. Plus people can lie about the age of pups too without papers from a vet or the adba/ukc showing when the pups were born a vet can only guess the approximate age based in certain factors.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What age to bring PUP home?   What age to bring PUP home? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What age to bring PUP home?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next