American Pit Bull
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

American Pit Bull

The American Icon. The American Pit Bull Terrier.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Is Playing Ball Enough???

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
RedDoggy
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
RedDoggy

Male
Number of posts : 764
Personalized field : A Fan Of StockYardKennels
Warnings :
Is Playing Ball Enough??? Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Is Playing Ball Enough??? Right_bar_bleue

Is Playing Ball Enough??? Empty
PostSubject: Is Playing Ball Enough???   Is Playing Ball Enough??? Icon_minitimeTue 26 Aug 2008, 9:50 pm

Although it's a great work out for body and mind the answer is no....
This breed is so high energy and outgoing that they require a high impact workout regiment. Tredmills are good but still not enough. I like the idea of using a mill to run my dogs, mixed with some fetch can be a great workout, but still needs more. The APBT needs two one hour walks a day. Okay, I know not everyone can do two hours of walking everyday for various reasons, thats where the mill will come in handy, but the mill CAN NOT be your primary walk. For right now(waiting on our mill) we play ball hard, walk once a day for a little over an hour, and work the flirt pole for cardio and agility at night when it's cool and the dogs are more willing. In addition to the physical workouts pit bulls also need mental stimulation. Indoor workouts are a must. Good exsamples would be peekaboo, guess which hand, fallow the ball, tag, and tug o war. If anyone has any ideas to add to my workout PLEASE post em', they'll be appreciated greatly!
Back to top Go down
Marty
V.I.P.
Marty

Male
Number of posts : 202
Warnings :
Is Playing Ball Enough??? Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Is Playing Ball Enough??? Right_bar_bleue

PostSubject: Re: Is Playing Ball Enough???   Is Playing Ball Enough??? Icon_minitimeTue 26 Aug 2008, 11:08 pm

If your dogs like water swimming is a very good work out also :)
Back to top Go down
http://www.game-dog.com/
RedDoggy
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
RedDoggy

Male
Warnings :

PostSubject: Re: Is Playing Ball Enough???   Is Playing Ball Enough??? Icon_minitimeTue 26 Aug 2008, 11:22 pm

Whew! I have one dog that actually likes water, which is funny cause we live in the desert..... But yes! Swimming is a great work out!
Back to top Go down
Sadieblues
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sadieblues

Female
Number of posts : 722
Personalized field : WISE GUY
Warnings :

PostSubject: Re: Is Playing Ball Enough???   Is Playing Ball Enough??? Icon_minitimeTue 26 Aug 2008, 11:45 pm

I have a treadmill ... I want to start letting the dogs use it but I am not sure how LOL... I don't know what a proper age would be and how long and at what speed .... Maybe someone here could give advice on how to condition a dog using a human treadmill properly ... I also take my pups to the tennis courts and let them run for an hour. Also for anyone that knows what is a good weight to start off with when letting pups practice pulling? Once the get use to a harness ....
Back to top Go down
Admin
ADMIN
Admin

Male
Number of posts : 1050
Personalized field : BACK IN ACTION!
Warnings :

PostSubject: Re: Is Playing Ball Enough???   Is Playing Ball Enough??? Icon_minitimeWed 27 Aug 2008, 9:00 pm

I run Rocky to the local gravel pit with this, 3 miles there, swim for about 20 minutes, and run 3 miles back..

Is Playing Ball Enough??? DSCF0081
Back to top Go down
http://www.americanpitbull-forums.com
RedDoggy
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
RedDoggy

Male
Warnings :

PostSubject: Re: Is Playing Ball Enough???   Is Playing Ball Enough??? Icon_minitimeWed 27 Aug 2008, 9:18 pm

Thats pretty tight E!
Back to top Go down
Admin
ADMIN
Admin

Male
Number of posts : 1050
Personalized field : BACK IN ACTION!
Warnings :

PostSubject: Re: Is Playing Ball Enough???   Is Playing Ball Enough??? Icon_minitimeWed 27 Aug 2008, 9:25 pm

Thank you very much... groovy
Back to top Go down
http://www.americanpitbull-forums.com
Sadieblues
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sadieblues

Female
Number of posts : 722
Personalized field : WISE GUY
Warnings :

PostSubject: Re: Is Playing Ball Enough???   Is Playing Ball Enough??? Icon_minitimeFri 26 Sep 2008, 6:09 pm

Admin wrote:
Thank you very much... groovy

DAMN E !!!!!!! LOL that's a pretty tight contraption you got there groovy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is Playing Ball Enough???   Is Playing Ball Enough??? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Is Playing Ball Enough???
Page 1 of 1