American Pit Bull
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

American Pit Bull

The American Icon. The American Pit Bull Terrier.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Animal Planets Special On The Micheal Vick Case

Go down 
+4
RedDoggy
bahamutt99
MSK
Sadieblues
8 posters

Was the Micheal Vick Case A blessing In Disguise for the APBT ?
I agree:
Animal Planets Special On The Micheal Vick Case Vote_lcap67%Animal Planets Special On The Micheal Vick Case Vote_rcap
 67% [ 6 ]
I disagree:
Animal Planets Special On The Micheal Vick Case Vote_lcap22%Animal Planets Special On The Micheal Vick Case Vote_rcap
 22% [ 2 ]
Other- Please comment:
Animal Planets Special On The Micheal Vick Case Vote_lcap11%Animal Planets Special On The Micheal Vick Case Vote_rcap
 11% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 9

AuthorMessage
Sadieblues
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sadieblues

Female
Number of posts : 722
Personalized field : WISE GUY
Warnings :
Animal Planets Special On The Micheal Vick Case Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Animal Planets Special On The Micheal Vick Case Right_bar_bleue

Animal Planets Special On The Micheal Vick Case Empty
PostSubject: Animal Planets Special On The Micheal Vick Case   Animal Planets Special On The Micheal Vick Case Icon_minitimeMon 25 Aug 2008, 12:20 am

Well After watching the special on the micheal vick dogfighting case I have to say I myself am pleased with the outcome not only for vicks dogs but for the breed as a whole I will wait to post my thoughts until tomorrow when everyone has had a chance to see it. My question to you is do you think that the Micheal Vick Case as public as it was gave the pit bull a voice in america as the victim and not the vicious breed that the media has portrayed the apbt to be? Was this case enough to open up the eyes to the public bringing hope to the breed by showing the public a positive side of the breed that is often tarnished by bad owner's and bad media hype?
Back to top Go down
MSK
Greeter
MSK

Female
Number of posts : 240
Warnings :
Animal Planets Special On The Micheal Vick Case Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Animal Planets Special On The Micheal Vick Case Right_bar_bleue

PostSubject: Re: Animal Planets Special On The Micheal Vick Case   Animal Planets Special On The Micheal Vick Case Icon_minitimeMon 25 Aug 2008, 12:44 am

My answer is yes and no do i think its a blessing what happened no but yes I do believe it did better the breed by showing a more positive light I myself felt the show was a little to much on fighting and not really what the breed was about yes it clearly stated good for the breed but IMO it wasn't enough to really stick in peoples minds about how the breed truly is and it also didn't specifically say these dogs when bred correctly are specifically bred to be non-human aggressive. But, other then that I was happy with the show.
Back to top Go down
http://tntforum.heavenforum.com
Sadieblues
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sadieblues

Female
Warnings :

PostSubject: Re: Animal Planets Special On The Micheal Vick Case   Animal Planets Special On The Micheal Vick Case Icon_minitimeMon 25 Aug 2008, 1:19 am

I feel that the micheal vick case WAS a blessing for our breed ... Think about it? when have you ever seen this much positive publicity regarding our breed? Had it been any other bust for dogfighting we the people would have never heard about it. I think for the first time the pit-bull was the victim and gave the world a chance to see how bad things can really be for the breed. People were forced because of the media coverage on this case to accept the reality of the outcome. Out of 53 dogs only 2 were put down one because of severe aggression and the second because of health reasons. We are talking a big number of dogs who were beaten abused neglected and fought ... Yet 51 of them were able to be saved ... What does that show the public about this breed?? I would say a whole damn lot. It pains me that these dogs had to suffer the abuse and neglect they did to represent the breed as a whole. But in the end if it was not for them the micheal vick dogs the world would not have been able to see how much of a victim the pit bull really is and how the media has lied to us for years about the breed by portraying them as monster's un-capable of love and being peaceful in society. I feel that because of this case and those dogs rescued and living now as proof that even through the worst case of abuse the pit bull can be redeemed with that burning desire to please it's owner and it's unmeasurable will to love. This is how I see it sometimes through tragedy comes something great.
Back to top Go down
bahamutt99
V.I.P.
bahamutt99

Female
Number of posts : 182
Personalized field : Glutton for Punishment
Warnings :

PostSubject: Re: Animal Planets Special On The Micheal Vick Case   Animal Planets Special On The Micheal Vick Case Icon_minitimeMon 25 Aug 2008, 1:57 am

I honestly don't like all the publicity. How many "Oh, de poor widdle pibbles need to be saved. Let's go adopt one!" people are going to get into the breed because of this whole fiasco? Where are all the celebs beating chest about the Vick dogs when there are "normal" dogs taken in raids? Nobody protested to save Floyd Boudreaux's dogs. They were all killed, and only folks already in the breed were upset about it. To everyone else, it was another stupid dog fighter going down, and his dogs were collateral damage.

Okay, maybe the publicity around the Vick case has been beneficial for those individual dogs. But overall? Maybe some would rather the public feel sorry for our dogs than fear them, but pity is not the basis for a sound relationship, IMO.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/bahamutt99
RedDoggy
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
RedDoggy

Male
Number of posts : 764
Personalized field : A Fan Of StockYardKennels
Warnings :

PostSubject: Re: Animal Planets Special On The Micheal Vick Case   Animal Planets Special On The Micheal Vick Case Icon_minitimeMon 25 Aug 2008, 3:11 am

I disagreed. It was exactluy what it was intended to be, god PR for the pit bull. I noticed a couple of false statements in the show, actually one in the first five minutes, and I couldn't bring myself to agree with everything said in the show. They showed basic pit bull owner tools to be fighting paraphenalia and they really dumbed it down. And, if I may add, they actually had me feeling empathy for Micheal Vick by the end. I'm not saying I condone or like what he did, I'm just saying that dude is paying his dues and everything that he worked for is over, deserving or not it's a shame to see someone come up from the ghetto and and then fall right back into the ashes. He seemed sorry in his press statement. I'm not sticking up for him in anyway though, so don't take that the wrong way. And Damnit!!!! I'm tired of seeing that dog dressed up like a clown! And I've been agreeing with the post above mine for quite some time too.
Back to top Go down
Sadieblues
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sadieblues

Female
Warnings :

PostSubject: Re: Animal Planets Special On The Micheal Vick Case   Animal Planets Special On The Micheal Vick Case Icon_minitimeMon 25 Aug 2008, 4:25 am

I also wanted to add to this incase anyone missed it .. But seems that the discovery channel will be continuing the micheal vick dog's recovery in a series ... I know one of his dogs Leo is now being worked as a therapy dog which is great ... And I guess they have those 22 dogs in the sanctuary that they plan on placing and working with ....those are the dogs they will be showing in the series as they recover and are rehabilitated and hopefully eventually adopted out to homes ... I will be watching it just to see what happens with the dogs. Other than that as far as publicity I would rather the breed be shown in a positive light than continue being shown in the negative. And I don't really think he MV was sorry for what he did ... Really only time will tell how sorry he really is. I am curious to see what he will do with himself once he is out of the slammer. I don't really care about MV I was more concerned with the dogs and what would become of them I am happy to see they all seem to be doing fine after the trauma the endured through this whole ordeal.
Back to top Go down
Admin
ADMIN
Admin

Male
Number of posts : 1050
Personalized field : BACK IN ACTION!
Warnings :

PostSubject: Re: Animal Planets Special On The Micheal Vick Case   Animal Planets Special On The Micheal Vick Case Icon_minitimeMon 25 Aug 2008, 6:42 am

I agreed, I thought it was well executed. However, Something interesting came to light after it was said on this special which will lead to a small change here @ APB.
Once again, exercise/conditioning equipment was said to be "Dogfigting equipment".
And can other "dog fighting equipment" can be found on the Internet via chat sites by anonymous "bloggers"..That shit pissed me off and will lead to some changes to cover our ass's..I do feel the overall outcome of the special is on the plus side even though it was only an hour special. I like how they said several times that "since these dogs were able to be placed that "maybe we were wrong about pitbulls", it looks like all the hype has come from being spoon fed about these dogs". I was like, HELLLLL YEAH!!!!!!!!!! Finally someone got it..

I liked it.. thumbsup
Back to top Go down
http://www.americanpitbull-forums.com
Sadieblues
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sadieblues

Female
Warnings :

PostSubject: Re: Animal Planets Special On The Micheal Vick Case   Animal Planets Special On The Micheal Vick Case Icon_minitimeMon 25 Aug 2008, 11:39 am

Yep I was very happy about that statement Eric ... someone else besides us has said it ... I think it just makes things easier for our breed in this case I feel media attention is very much needed :)
Back to top Go down
NesOne
NesOne

Male
Number of posts : 505
Personalized field : OH WELL...
Warnings :

PostSubject: Re: Animal Planets Special On The Micheal Vick Case   Animal Planets Special On The Micheal Vick Case Icon_minitimeMon 25 Aug 2008, 12:08 pm

I liked it, it gave me something to watch on a boring Sunday, and it definitely did good to the breed, especially the statements that E mentioned.

On a side note, did you guys notice when they re-enacted the 'pit' scene and the ref was in the middle pretending to start off the fight? I had a big smile, because both dogs were there just sitting down nice and calm, hahahaha.
Back to top Go down
lovemypits
Greeter
lovemypits

Female
Number of posts : 166
Warnings :

PostSubject: Re: Animal Planets Special On The Micheal Vick Case   Animal Planets Special On The Micheal Vick Case Icon_minitimeMon 25 Aug 2008, 2:19 pm

I didn't get to watch the show yet, I'll have to catch it on a re-run. It is good that maybe a few people will realize the breed has been portrayed in a poor light. On the other hand, I just hope it doesn't popularize the breed and make more people want them. I mean, yes we were all first time owners and have learned from our mistakes, but we also know there are people that get this breed that can't handle them pure and simple.

It will be interesting to see the follow up on the dogs, and I can't wait to meet Hector in October when Roo brings him to my Pit Bull Awareness day :)
Back to top Go down
bahamutt99
V.I.P.
bahamutt99

Female
Warnings :

PostSubject: Re: Animal Planets Special On The Micheal Vick Case   Animal Planets Special On The Micheal Vick Case Icon_minitimeMon 25 Aug 2008, 5:12 pm

I kinda suspect that some of us are talking about two different topics. One is about this show specifically, which I haven't seen since we had to downgrade our satellite. Sad The other is about the Michael Vick thing in general. I haven't seen the show, but I answered the question as I thought was posed about the whole Michael Vick bust.
Back to top Go down
NesOne
NesOne

Male
Number of posts : 505
Personalized field : OH WELL...
Warnings :

PostSubject: Re: Animal Planets Special On The Micheal Vick Case   Animal Planets Special On The Micheal Vick Case Icon_minitimeMon 25 Aug 2008, 5:17 pm

bahamutt99 wrote:
I kinda suspect that some of us are talking about two different topics. One is about this show specifically, which I haven't seen since we had to downgrade our satellite. Sad The other is about the Michael Vick thing in general. I haven't seen the show, but I answered the question as I thought was posed about the whole Michael Vick bust.

It has to do with that particular episode from "Animal Witness".
Back to top Go down
Marty
V.I.P.
Marty

Male
Number of posts : 202
Warnings :

PostSubject: Re: Animal Planets Special On The Micheal Vick Case   Animal Planets Special On The Micheal Vick Case Icon_minitimeMon 25 Aug 2008, 9:45 pm

bahamutt99 wrote:
You can watch it here...

http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/video...Cj0o0F9UL8s077
Back to top Go down
http://www.game-dog.com/
bahamutt99
V.I.P.
bahamutt99

Female
Warnings :

PostSubject: Re: Animal Planets Special On The Micheal Vick Case   Animal Planets Special On The Micheal Vick Case Icon_minitimeTue 26 Aug 2008, 4:00 am

Thanks Marty!
Back to top Go down
bahamutt99
V.I.P.
bahamutt99

Female
Warnings :

PostSubject: Re: Animal Planets Special On The Micheal Vick Case   Animal Planets Special On The Micheal Vick Case Icon_minitimeTue 26 Aug 2008, 4:47 am

Okay, I just finished watching the video. I will admit, it was a very good program, compared to the status quo. I wanted to kick that PeTA guy in the teeth more than once, and I couldn't help but roll my eyes at the re-enacted "dog fight" with the dogs walking calmly into the ring on lead and sitting at their owners' sides. But overall, pretty good. Show was good. Still not convinced that the Michael Vick case overall was good for the breed. But I'll suspend any further judgement and see what time reveals.
Back to top Go down
Admin
ADMIN
Admin

Male
Number of posts : 1050
Personalized field : BACK IN ACTION!
Warnings :

PostSubject: Re: Animal Planets Special On The Micheal Vick Case   Animal Planets Special On The Micheal Vick Case Icon_minitimeTue 26 Aug 2008, 6:17 am

Yeah the fight reenactment was somewhat comical...
Back to top Go down
http://www.americanpitbull-forums.com
Marty
V.I.P.
Marty

Male
Number of posts : 202
Warnings :

PostSubject: Re: Animal Planets Special On The Micheal Vick Case   Animal Planets Special On The Micheal Vick Case Icon_minitimeWed 27 Aug 2008, 10:10 pm

For those that missed it, its on right now Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.game-dog.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Animal Planets Special On The Micheal Vick Case   Animal Planets Special On The Micheal Vick Case Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Animal Planets Special On The Micheal Vick Case
Page 1 of 1