American Pit Bull
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

American Pit Bull

The American Icon. The American Pit Bull Terrier.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Racist Dogs?

Go down 
+9
bahamutt99
MSK
pitmamma
Sadieblues
Sydney
NesOne
BlueBullyBabe
buzhunter
RedDoggy
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
RedDoggy
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
RedDoggy

Male
Number of posts : 764
Personalized field : A Fan Of StockYardKennels
Warnings :
Racist Dogs? Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Racist Dogs? Right_bar_bleue

Racist Dogs? Empty
PostSubject: Racist Dogs?   Racist Dogs? Icon_minitimeFri 15 Aug 2008, 7:19 am

Does anyone out there have racist APBTs, the Peas are both seriously racist... They also hate police and bicycles. Oh and Men who are taller than me. I would work on it if I had more police buddies or friends for that matter.
Back to top Go down
buzhunter
V.I.P.
buzhunter

Male
Number of posts : 347
Warnings :

Racist Dogs? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Racist Dogs?   Racist Dogs? Icon_minitimeFri 15 Aug 2008, 7:24 am

Oh, what? Since my dog is white she's gotta be a racist?
Just playin. Don't let the man get you down. biglaugh
Back to top Go down
BlueBullyBabe
V.I.P.
BlueBullyBabe

Number of posts : 477
Personalized field : Possessed By The Devil... AKA RedDoggy!
Warnings :

Racist Dogs? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Racist Dogs?   Racist Dogs? Icon_minitimeFri 15 Aug 2008, 11:15 am

I had a chow pit that was racist. Did NOT like black people at all, and we had had her since she was 10weeks. It was weird, she didn't mind cops, or the mail guy but anyone with a darker skin tone she'd frek out on. Which was REALLY odd cuz I'm mexican in the summer I get really dark lol, who knows.
Back to top Go down
NesOne
NesOne

Male
Number of posts : 505
Personalized field : OH WELL...
Warnings :

Racist Dogs? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Racist Dogs?   Racist Dogs? Icon_minitimeFri 15 Aug 2008, 12:25 pm

My brother told me a long time ago that he read when dogs act up towards darker people, it may be due to the fact that since they are color blind, they sometimes think of it as a shadow, and don't understand what's going on, thus react accordingly.

So RD, they act like that with absolutely everybody that is not the same and/or lower height or race as you?
Back to top Go down
Sydney

Sydney

Female
Number of posts : 220
Personalized field : So Misunderstood...
Warnings :

Racist Dogs? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Racist Dogs?   Racist Dogs? Icon_minitimeFri 15 Aug 2008, 1:12 pm

Sydney barks protectively whenever a darker skinned person talks to me, but not just if she sees them in passing....I also had a GSD growing up that didn't care for darker skinned people...I think it's like Nes said if they are not used to seeing it on a daily basis then it may seem out of the ordinary, and thus react accordingly.
Back to top Go down
Sadieblues
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sadieblues

Female
Number of posts : 722
Personalized field : WISE GUY
Warnings :

Racist Dogs? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Racist Dogs?   Racist Dogs? Icon_minitimeFri 15 Aug 2008, 1:15 pm

OMG !!!!! I am serious I never tell people this but I wonder pedee always barks and growls at darker people ... Very odd he has always done this. I always said he didn't like darker skin folks ... But that just can't be LOL I see other people seem to have this same issue that's very strange

Last edited by Sadieblues on Fri 15 Aug 2008, 2:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

Racist Dogs? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Racist Dogs?   Racist Dogs? Icon_minitimeFri 15 Aug 2008, 1:38 pm

All my dogs love people no matter size, sex, or race.
Back to top Go down
pitmamma

pitmamma

Female
Number of posts : 167
Personalized field : \"Lurker\"
Warnings :

Racist Dogs? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Racist Dogs?   Racist Dogs? Icon_minitimeFri 15 Aug 2008, 1:53 pm

That's right....Bronson, Lizzy, and Nick are the best ever.... worthy
Back to top Go down
buzhunter
V.I.P.
buzhunter

Male
Warnings :

Racist Dogs? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Racist Dogs?   Racist Dogs? Icon_minitimeFri 15 Aug 2008, 3:43 pm

NesOne wrote:
My brother told me a long time ago that he read when dogs act up towards darker people, it may be due to the fact that since they are color blind, they sometimes think of it as a shadow, and don't understand what's going on, thus react accordingly.

So RD, they act like that with absolutely everybody that is not the same and/or lower height or race as you?

I know most say that dogs are colorblind but I have seen evidence that contradicts that. I don't know if it's a proven fact or just a theory. I feel a new thread coming on...
Back to top Go down
Sadieblues
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sadieblues

Female
Number of posts : 722
Personalized field : WISE GUY
Warnings :

Racist Dogs? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Racist Dogs?   Racist Dogs? Icon_minitimeFri 15 Aug 2008, 3:46 pm

LOL I hope people are not taking this offensively seems to be a logical reason ... maybe it could be something to do with the dog being colorblind obviously a few of us here have shared the same exp very interesting.
Back to top Go down
BlueBullyBabe
V.I.P.
BlueBullyBabe

Number of posts : 477
Personalized field : Possessed By The Devil... AKA RedDoggy!
Warnings :

Racist Dogs? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Racist Dogs?   Racist Dogs? Icon_minitimeFri 15 Aug 2008, 3:50 pm

Even being colorblind though you would be able to distinguish lighter and darker shades of people.
Back to top Go down
MSK
Greeter
MSK

Female
Number of posts : 240
Warnings :

Racist Dogs? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Racist Dogs?   Racist Dogs? Icon_minitimeFri 15 Aug 2008, 4:18 pm

I have a couple on the yard that are kinda funny around dark skinned people its sucks when we go on vacation and hubby's moms boyfriends comes up usually hubby's bro feeds them b/c he says that when Tex feeds them some of them growl(yes he is a colored man btw) lol. I was like hmmm I wonder why some are like that b/c one day he can walk up to them the next day he can't. I also noticed soemthing odd about Pepsi she was owned by a colored man before me and loved him to death and is fine when she sees him but any other dark skinned person she sees shes kinda unsure of them. I don't get it.
Back to top Go down
http://tntforum.heavenforum.com
RedDoggy
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
RedDoggy

Male
Warnings :

Racist Dogs? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Racist Dogs?   Racist Dogs? Icon_minitimeFri 15 Aug 2008, 5:40 pm

Um, I don't think the term colored flies anymore... LOL. Anyway, thanks guys, I was really hoping it wasn't just me. There could be a number of reasons for it and I dunno if I'll actually bother getting to the bottom of it, but it's good to know that it isn't just one of mine.
Back to top Go down
bahamutt99
V.I.P.
bahamutt99

Female
Number of posts : 182
Personalized field : Glutton for Punishment
Warnings :

Racist Dogs? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Racist Dogs?   Racist Dogs? Icon_minitimeFri 15 Aug 2008, 6:54 pm

Its really got nothing to do with what color a person is. If it did, then no black families would be able to have dogs. What it has to do with is what the dog was exposed to early on. If you only have your dog around whites, then naturally, they're going to view blacks as a little odd. And vice versa. If you never expose your dog to kids, then of course seeing micro-people is going to be a shock to them. Same with old grannies with canes, folks who smell like cigarette smoke, etc. Its something that's outside of the dog's sphere of experience, so they don't get it, and sometimes that means they don't like it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/bahamutt99
RedDoggy
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
RedDoggy

Male
Warnings :

Racist Dogs? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Racist Dogs?   Racist Dogs? Icon_minitimeFri 15 Aug 2008, 8:37 pm

I have only one african-american friend and he NEVER comes to my house. The cops carry themselves differently and they have all that equipment on, and as far as bikes goes.... Well, I haven't figured that one out, there's alot of tweekers around here and we see lots of bikes. This is simply a socialization thing, and I have to agree to disagree, it had everything to do with the color of skin. My dogs never see black folks thus they don't like em'. It isn't straight racism, that was just a fun name for a thread.
Back to top Go down
megz

megz

Female
Number of posts : 79
Warnings :

Racist Dogs? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Racist Dogs?   Racist Dogs? Icon_minitimeFri 15 Aug 2008, 9:36 pm

Boomer hates bums. not just homeless but the people who wander around asking for change, he has actually almost dragged me into the street to avoid one that was coming down the sidewalk. i don't know what his deal is with that cause he has been around "hippies" more than i personnally would like to admit :) thats what happens when you live in OR. so it's not a smell or sight thing, i don't think ???
Back to top Go down
Kat&askem

Kat&askem

Female
Number of posts : 150
Personalized field : Kumho(coo-moe) being silly
Warnings :

Racist Dogs? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Racist Dogs?   Racist Dogs? Icon_minitimeFri 15 Aug 2008, 9:49 pm

Rumor has it each ethnic group has a differnt smell from the food they consume and different hygine habbits.Maybe its not a look but a smell
Back to top Go down
gingereli

Number of posts : 22
Warnings :

Racist Dogs? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Racist Dogs?   Racist Dogs? Icon_minitimeSat 16 Aug 2008, 10:10 am

My dog doesn't notice color but some people he just does not like. He won't attack but I'm afraid if I wasn't there he would. He's super friendly with my family, any kids or women, and most men. Some he just hates I guess he may just have better judgement than me.
Back to top Go down
bahamutt99
V.I.P.
bahamutt99

Female
Number of posts : 182
Personalized field : Glutton for Punishment
Warnings :

Racist Dogs? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Racist Dogs?   Racist Dogs? Icon_minitimeSat 16 Aug 2008, 6:18 pm

RedDoggy wrote:
Well, I haven't figured that one out, there's alot of tweekers around here and we see lots of bikes.

Bikes are something inanimate that moves. They're not something that a dog would necessarily see, kind of like wheelchairs, skateboards, etc. They change the landscape, in that they make it to where people move differently than they would. So there again, something strange that's outside the dog's experience. I try to acclimate my dogs to trotting next to a bike, and that helps to make more familiar to them, and less scary.

Quote :
This is simply a socialization thing, and I have to agree to disagree, it had everything to do with the color of skin. My dogs never see black folks thus they don't like em'.

But if your dogs had been exposed to blacks early, they wouldn't interpret it as something scary. So it really doesn't have to do with the skin color per se, but more that the skin color represents something that is different to them. They're not afraid of the skin tone in and of itself. As you said, other types of people cause discomfort because of what they do differently, things they wear, etc. It could just as easily be a white person with palsy that makes them shake, and that would be an instance of where the dog would probably be nervous of a person of familiar pigmentation, simply because they "act strange." Its an element that they haven't been exposed to, so it causes fear. (Well, it some dogs it causes fear. In others it causes fear-based aggression, and in some it just spurs curiosity. Depends on the dog.)
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/bahamutt99
NesOne
NesOne

Male
Warnings :

Racist Dogs? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Racist Dogs?   Racist Dogs? Icon_minitimeSat 16 Aug 2008, 7:04 pm

megz wrote:
so it's not a smell or sight thing, i don't think ???

In your case, smell is definitely the key here. I mean most homeless people smell pretty bad, and imagine how far away your dog would be able to smell them? lol. Sounds like it's the smell he doesn't like, and not the actual person.
Back to top Go down
megz

megz

Female
Number of posts : 79
Warnings :

Racist Dogs? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Racist Dogs?   Racist Dogs? Icon_minitimeSat 16 Aug 2008, 7:07 pm

NesOne wrote:
megz wrote:
so it's not a smell or sight thing, i don't think ???

In your case, smell is definitely the key here. I mean most homeless people smell pretty bad, and imagine how far away your dog would be able to smell them? lol. Sounds like it's the smell he doesn't like, and not the actual person.

maybe, but he's been with to some of the music festivals with us and they are two day camping and it's mostly regae music, so you can kinda imagine some of the people. different enviroment though too i guess??
Back to top Go down
locote6174

locote6174

Male
Number of posts : 128
Warnings :

Racist Dogs? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Racist Dogs?   Racist Dogs? Icon_minitimeMon 18 Aug 2008, 2:40 pm

OMG, you people are crazy. I cant believe what im reading from some of you ive owned all types of dogs in my life from labs, to pits and ive NEVER seen nor heard anything of the such. Dogs can feel what there OWNERS dont like and are AFRAID of plain and simple dont blame it on the dogs. how stupid can some of you be, different "ethnic" group have different hygiene habits wtf is that supposed to mean ,and the one comment using the word colored, wow, coming from kentucky i understand quite well why that phrase was used. Racism is still alive in the good ol' US of A its just hidden, and proof is right here all you got to do is read SOME of these posts. oh yeah im not black im Panamanian and American Indian, but deal with racism daily due to my skin color. I also have friends who deal with this type of BS daily wow am i pissed off.
Back to top Go down
buzhunter
V.I.P.
buzhunter

Male
Warnings :

Racist Dogs? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Racist Dogs?   Racist Dogs? Icon_minitimeMon 18 Aug 2008, 3:05 pm

Ahh, don't let it get under your skin. I just read that, lol. No pun intended. Don't let it get to you, man.
Back to top Go down
NesOne
NesOne

Male
Warnings :

Racist Dogs? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Racist Dogs?   Racist Dogs? Icon_minitimeMon 18 Aug 2008, 3:28 pm

buzhunter wrote:
Ahh, don't let it get under your skin. I just read that, lol. No pun intended. Don't let it get to you, man.

lol! good one, lol.

Locote, don't take it to the heart, it's just conversation.
Back to top Go down
buzhunter
V.I.P.
buzhunter

Male
Warnings :

Racist Dogs? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Racist Dogs?   Racist Dogs? Icon_minitimeMon 18 Aug 2008, 3:36 pm

Yeah, I didn't mean to make a skin joke. Just trying to throw some water on the fire. Nes is right. Don't take it to heart. (better choice of words) beer
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Racist Dogs? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Racist Dogs?   Racist Dogs? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Racist Dogs?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next