American Pit Bull
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

American Pit Bull

The American Icon. The American Pit Bull Terrier.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

What the????

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
megz

megz

Female
Number of posts : 79
Warnings :
What the???? Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100What the???? Right_bar_bleue

What the???? Empty
PostSubject: What the????   What the???? Icon_minitimeThu 31 Jul 2008, 12:27 am

while working on some obedience today, i've been a lil lazy lately Sad so it's been a few days. so we do the sit-down-stay and Boomer does fine until..... come......holy freaking flying dog batman!! he came a runnin like i was a stinkin t-bone!! i braced for impact, luckily he stopped short and sat, like he is supposed to do?!?! sheesh!! okay, so maybe he just got excited for some reason, lets try that again. once again the darn Boomer freight train comes barrling down at me, and once again he stops short and sits. we tried it a couple more times and the same thing. i had to take a break and work on some goofy commands like speak and dap(he gives daps with his nose) just so i could get my heartrate back down to normal.
so heres my question..... how the heck do i stop this??? i'm hoping it's just a today thing, but what if it isn't??? i hate to just ignore his "come" cause he does stop and sit like he's supposed to and i don't want him to think he is doing it totally wrong. i've completely drawn a blank???? anyways, i will definitely not be slacking in our training if this is what happens lol!!
any thoughts???
Back to top Go down

What the???? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What the????   What the???? Icon_minitimeThu 31 Jul 2008, 2:22 am

You have already identified your own problem. Consistency is #1 when training. Take days off...........go backwards in progress. 2 or 3 10-15 minute sessions a day is my suggestion. If he does not perform the task correctly, DO NOT give praise or treats. Repeat it till he gets it right then praise praise praise and a possible treat.
Back to top Go down
Sadieblues
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sadieblues

Female
Number of posts : 722
Personalized field : WISE GUY
Warnings :

What the???? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What the????   What the???? Icon_minitimeThu 31 Jul 2008, 2:38 am

Great Info Boogieman goodpost
Back to top Go down
megz

megz

Female
Warnings :

What the???? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What the????   What the???? Icon_minitimeThu 31 Jul 2008, 2:49 am

Boogieman wrote:
You have already identified your own problem. Consistency is #1 when training. Take days off...........go backwards in progress.

i knew i would hear that Sad that is why i posted it had been a few days. believe me, this was a HUGE reminder to work with him everyday.
Back to top Go down
Admin
ADMIN
Admin

Male
Number of posts : 1050
Personalized field : BACK IN ACTION!
Warnings :

What the???? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What the????   What the???? Icon_minitimeThu 31 Jul 2008, 6:41 am

I have always suggested that training be several short sessions a day. Long exhausting sessions you will notice tend to cause more confusion and frustration. Training session should always end on a good note..
Back to top Go down
http://www.americanpitbull-forums.com
Sydney

Sydney

Female
Number of posts : 220
Personalized field : So Misunderstood...
Warnings :

What the???? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What the????   What the???? Icon_minitimeThu 31 Jul 2008, 8:19 am

I would also add...DO NOT call him from a stay for a while. Go back and release him from his stay, until he gets good and solid, and not so anxious for you to call him.
Back to top Go down
megz

megz

Female
Warnings :

What the???? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What the????   What the???? Icon_minitimeFri 01 Aug 2008, 1:58 am

We usually do at least two short sessions a day otherwise we both loose interest and that does nobody any good. we worked today, of course Wink i learned my lesson!! i tried some different things like stopping real close, holding the stay for longer (i usually do about 5 to 10 seconds), he did better but it seems he just "really likes" the command and gets excited ohno thanks for all your ideas, i will be trying all of them believe me!! although my kids find it to be hillarious biglaugh
Back to top Go down

What the???? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What the????   What the???? Icon_minitimeFri 01 Aug 2008, 11:52 am

megz wrote:
We usually do at least two short sessions a day otherwise we both loose interest and that does nobody any good. we worked today, of course Wink i learned my lesson!! i tried some different things like stopping real close, holding the stay for longer (i usually do about 5 to 10 seconds), he did better but it seems he just "really likes" the command and gets excited ohno thanks for all your ideas, i will be trying all of them believe me!! although my kids find it to be hillarious biglaugh
Keep being consistent and it will pay off. I can leave mine sit in front of their food bowls and they will NOT move until I come back and give them the command it's ok to eat. I ran to get my phone, started talking, and forgot they were in there once. In five minutes I was like OH S**T THE DOGS! I found them all 3 still sitting with puddles of drool in front of them. After a good LOL I gave them the command..."good puppies" That's the command since they are all taught as pups to do this. That's an example of the payoff for consisten training. There is a brief clip of it in this vid.

What the???? Th_7b9e3918
Back to top Go down
Sadieblues
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sadieblues

Female
Number of posts : 722
Personalized field : WISE GUY
Warnings :

What the???? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What the????   What the???? Icon_minitimeFri 01 Aug 2008, 12:42 pm

That was very entertaining !!! Omg your dogs are so awsome ... and so well mannered. WAY TO GO BOOGIEMAN!!
Back to top Go down
Sydney

Sydney

Female
Number of posts : 220
Personalized field : So Misunderstood...
Warnings :

What the???? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What the????   What the???? Icon_minitimeFri 01 Aug 2008, 2:42 pm

very cute and so well mannered!
Back to top Go down
Kat&askem

Kat&askem

Female
Number of posts : 150
Personalized field : Kumho(coo-moe) being silly
Warnings :

What the???? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What the????   What the???? Icon_minitimeFri 01 Aug 2008, 4:00 pm

boogie man I'm keeping you on line one for futher advice..=0P
Back to top Go down
megz

megz

Female
Warnings :

What the???? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What the????   What the???? Icon_minitimeSun 03 Aug 2008, 5:30 pm

that is awesome!!
Boomer does great with some commands cause the kids love when he listens to them so they do em all the time. but they like doing the "fun" ones the best, so he is really good at speak, shake/wave, daps/touch and then the sit and down but stay is just not "fun" for them. ohno
we are doing lots better even as of today. tomorrow will be a good test cause we are going camping out at the river, we'll have to see what he can do when there are squirrels and water around Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Admin
ADMIN
Admin

Male
Number of posts : 1050
Personalized field : BACK IN ACTION!
Warnings :

What the???? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What the????   What the???? Icon_minitimeSun 03 Aug 2008, 8:09 pm

BOOGIE! you the man. You need to post that in the video theater... thumbsup
Back to top Go down
http://www.americanpitbull-forums.com
Sponsored content

What the???? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What the????   What the???? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What the????
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
American Pit Bull :: The Pit :: Training-
Jump to: