American Pit Bull
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

American Pit Bull

The American Icon. The American Pit Bull Terrier.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Pit Bulls and Children

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
RedDoggy
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
RedDoggy

Male
Number of posts : 764
Personalized field : A Fan Of StockYardKennels
Warnings :
Pit Bulls and Children Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Pit Bulls and Children Right_bar_bleue

Pit Bulls and Children Empty
PostSubject: Pit Bulls and Children   Pit Bulls and Children Icon_minitimeFri 18 Jul 2008, 7:06 am

Five Tips to keep your Pit Bull and children safe while playing together
1) Always supervise interaction pit bulls and kids

NEVER leave a child alone with a dog. This goes for any dog. Even if it's a puppy. This is for both the child's and the dogs safety.

If you read through articles of pit bull attacks online where children were hurt, maimed or worse, killed by a Pit Bull you will notice that in 99% of the cases they were left alone with the dog or dogs involved.

This should be a rule rather than a tip. Use common sense and care. Small children especially should never be unsupervised around dogs.

2) Watch the child's behaviour

Watch the children's behaviour. This tip is more for the dogs safety than the child's. Children can be brutal and even in the face of such harsh treatment, well bred, responsibly owned Pit Bulls are not prone to biting or "attacking" in defense.

Make sure every child that plays with your dog understands how to behave around them. They should know to respect your dog and it's space and other things like toys, food, water, or their special bed.

3) Make sure all your dogs prized items are put away

Ah, nothing like a kid running around with a dried bully stick in their hands. lol. Not only is this nasty, your dog will want their bully stick back and attempt to get it. And in the process they could nip a finger or two.

Put all your dogs favorite toys and treats away and where children can't get a hold of them to be on the safe side.

To clarify, it wouldn't' be out of malice or viciousness the dog would get a finger or two. It would be by accident, an accident that can easily be avoided by putting such things away.

4) Start taking Obedience classes

If you're not already training your dog in basic obedience. Start as soon as possible.

Having an obedient Pit Bull will help when kids are around. Not to mention adults as well.

Teaching your dog to sit so they can be pet, laying down when things get a bit to rowdy, or to do a silly trick to lighten the tension of an over cautious parent is always a great idea. :o)

5) Never Force your dog into a situation that makes them uncomfortable

Some dogs simply get weird around certain people. Don't force the issue and make your dog say "hello" or play with someone they are showing signs of apprehension around.

However, I have seen very few Pit Bulls get weird around people. Almost none now that I think about it. Since they are extremely people oriented it is quite rare to see them become skittish.

However it does happen, so be aware of how your dog is reacting to people and if they do get weird, take them somewhere quiet they can hang out or continue on with your walk.

In Conclusion
Pit Bulls can be safe with kids despite what all the articles of pit bull attacks suggest.

Using common sense, watching your dogs behaviour, and keeping an eye on all interactions between kids and your pit bull will go a long way to preventing any possible accidents or problems.

And finally, Pit Bulls love kids and the two make a perfect combination. High energy wired up kid + high energy wired up Pit Bull = loads of fun and laughter for all involved.

Ref- PitBull Lovers
Back to top Go down
gingereli

Number of posts : 22
Warnings :
Pit Bulls and Children Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Pit Bulls and Children Right_bar_bleue

PostSubject: Re: Pit Bulls and Children   Pit Bulls and Children Icon_minitimeSun 10 Aug 2008, 12:55 pm

I have three kids and 5 pits and have never even had one of my kids knocked down or scratched my kids are all 5 and under too. My one problem is if my kids screaming and the dog thinks I am the cause he will grab my arm in his mouth never uses any pressure I think it's just to let me know he's watching. I do have to put him up anytime a stranger is around the kids he keeps himself between them and the kids and if they cross his boundary he will bite.
Back to top Go down
littlecountry

littlecountry

Male
Number of posts : 154
Personalized field : TO THE CORNER
Warnings :
Pit Bulls and Children Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100Pit Bulls and Children Right_bar_bleue

PostSubject: Re: Pit Bulls and Children   Pit Bulls and Children Icon_minitimeThu 04 Sep 2008, 10:57 am

Pit Bulls and Children Clydau10

Pit Bulls and Children Bonnie17

pictures are worth 1000 words
Back to top Go down
http://www.littlecountrykennels.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pit Bulls and Children   Pit Bulls and Children Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Pit Bulls and Children
Page 1 of 1