American Pit Bull
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

American Pit Bull

The American Icon. The American Pit Bull Terrier.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

emergency tack box

Go down 
+4
lovemypits
pitmamma
Tcarter
shadyridgekennels
8 posters
AuthorMessage
shadyridgekennels
V.I.P.
shadyridgekennels

Number of posts : 70
Warnings :
emergency tack box Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100emergency tack box Right_bar_bleue

emergency tack box Empty
PostSubject: emergency tack box   emergency tack box Icon_minitimeSun 06 Jul 2008, 1:38 pm

ok guys just wanted to list some things we have on the yard from the simplest things to stuff for major accidents:
gauze
peroxide(for cleaning when it happens, not to be used as a long term cleaner)
iodine
cotton balls
nustock
nitro fura zone
different size needles
different size syringes
staples
staple gun
iv cath
iv set ups
lac ringers
blood stop
hemostats
benadryl
epinephrine
lidocane
antibiotics

and the list can go on and on
Back to top Go down
Tcarter

Tcarter

Male
Number of posts : 129
Warnings :
emergency tack box Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100emergency tack box Right_bar_bleue

emergency tack box Empty
PostSubject: Re: emergency tack box   emergency tack box Icon_minitimeSun 06 Jul 2008, 9:11 pm

looks like you covered all bases..one of my pups got off the lead and ran over to a dog that was like 1.5 yrs old mine was about 6 months just wanting to play and got his jaw pulled pretty good i went to the ER vet and they pulled out a black and decker stappler and put on some iodine and stappled him together and sent me on my way for a nice healthy fee. Me i usually panic and head for the vet but to save money i've started to research alot more so that i can educate my self on what needs to be paniced about
Back to top Go down
pitmamma

pitmamma

Female
Number of posts : 167
Personalized field : \"Lurker\"
Warnings :

emergency tack box Empty
PostSubject: Re: emergency tack box   emergency tack box Icon_minitimeSun 06 Jul 2008, 9:17 pm

I am not suggesting this by any means, lol, but super glue has come in pretty handy in an emergency.
Back to top Go down
Tcarter

Tcarter

Male
Warnings :

emergency tack box Empty
PostSubject: Re: emergency tack box   emergency tack box Icon_minitimeSun 06 Jul 2008, 9:22 pm

SUPER GLUE lol where would you use it ...
1.to seal up a wound?

2. on Germans shepherds they use it on the insides of the ears and glue them together so they stand
Back to top Go down
pitmamma

pitmamma

Female
Warnings :

emergency tack box Empty
PostSubject: Re: emergency tack box   emergency tack box Icon_minitimeSun 06 Jul 2008, 9:25 pm

Yep to seal a wound, lol. Like I said it was an emergency and didn't have anything else. But it worked really well as long as you open it up to drain.
Back to top Go down
shadyridgekennels
V.I.P.
shadyridgekennels

Number of posts : 70
Warnings :

emergency tack box Empty
PostSubject: Re: emergency tack box   emergency tack box Icon_minitimeSun 06 Jul 2008, 11:41 pm

yes it works great on ears and tails
Back to top Go down
pitmamma

pitmamma

Female
Warnings :

emergency tack box Empty
PostSubject: Re: emergency tack box   emergency tack box Icon_minitimeMon 07 Jul 2008, 1:30 pm

Was just watching Martha Steward, I hate admitting that, lol, but anyhoo there was a vet on and gave this info...

3% hydrogen proxide 1 teaspoon per 5 lbs to make throw up
Benadryl 1 mg per lb (pill) for itching and after a sting
Dryer sheets for dogs with storm anxiety, rub the dog down with the sheets and it helps with the static build up wich is why they are so anxious.
Pepto for um when it is coming out of either end lol
Kaopetcate (sp) for when it is coming out the other end lol
Un-spiced pumpkin 1 tablespoon for constipation
Epson Salt-soak feet in it for cuts and bathe in it for itching
Vaseline put a little around a cut and it allows you to trim the hair without it getting in the wound, then just wipe off
another use for vaseline, if you have a dog with lots of hair on its feet, run a litle vaseline on the feet before they go outside (if there is ice and snow) and it will prevent them from getting iceballs matted in their hair.
Back to top Go down
Tcarter

Tcarter

Male
Warnings :

emergency tack box Empty
PostSubject: Re: emergency tack box   emergency tack box Icon_minitimeMon 07 Jul 2008, 2:20 pm

great if there mamma if there was a thank you you just got 1
Back to top Go down
lovemypits
Greeter
lovemypits

Female
Number of posts : 166
Warnings :

emergency tack box Empty
PostSubject: Re: emergency tack box   emergency tack box Icon_minitimeMon 07 Jul 2008, 2:53 pm

Thanks for the info Tami !! (closet martha stewart watcher huh??) lol
Back to top Go down
pitmamma

pitmamma

Female
Warnings :

emergency tack box Empty
PostSubject: Re: emergency tack box   emergency tack box Icon_minitimeMon 07 Jul 2008, 5:14 pm

Your Welcome, some of that stuff I really would not have thought of. But the vet was saying if you were in a situation were you could not get to the vet or even to a phone to call these things would work. I know there are lots of people like LMP that go hiking and camping and you never know when one of the little bugers will eat something they shouldn't, or get stung by a bee or something. And I know a lot of people are like me and don't want to run to the vet for every little thing.
Go Martha lol....
Back to top Go down
Tcarter

Tcarter

Male
Warnings :

emergency tack box Empty
PostSubject: Re: emergency tack box   emergency tack box Icon_minitimeMon 07 Jul 2008, 5:39 pm

pitmamma wrote:
Your Welcome, some of that stuff I really would not have thought of. But the vet was saying if you were in a situation were you could not get to the vet or even to a phone to call these things would work. I know there are lots of people like LMP that go hiking and camping and you never know when one of the little bugers will eat something they shouldn't, or get stung by a bee or something. And I know a lot of people are like me and don't want to run to the vet for every little thing.
Go Martha lol....

Yes lord the vet visits can get retarded! (prices)
Back to top Go down
pitmamma

pitmamma

Female
Warnings :

emergency tack box Empty
PostSubject: Re: emergency tack box   emergency tack box Icon_minitimeMon 07 Jul 2008, 8:01 pm

I hear ya TC, I live in a really small town so it can be hard to get into the vet, so if it was a real emergency I would have to go to the animal hospital an hour away and you can imagine how much that place cost...
If there is a possibility I can do it at home I have to at least try.

Last edited by pitmamma on Mon 07 Jul 2008, 10:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
lovemypits
Greeter
lovemypits

Female
Number of posts : 166
Warnings :

emergency tack box Empty
PostSubject: Re: emergency tack box   emergency tack box Icon_minitimeMon 07 Jul 2008, 8:59 pm

For real.. my vet is an hour away. I hope I never have to use any of those in my home..and i hope Harley and Sasha stay okay together.. she is so passive and lets him be boss.. so fingers crossed it stays that way. But hiking is a big thing. I always be sure to put things in harleys backpack just in case of emergency.
Back to top Go down
Admin
ADMIN
Admin

Male
Number of posts : 1050
Personalized field : BACK IN ACTION!
Warnings :

emergency tack box Empty
PostSubject: Re: emergency tack box   emergency tack box Icon_minitimeMon 07 Jul 2008, 9:32 pm

pitmamma wrote:
I am not suggesting this by any means, lol, but super glue has come in pretty handy in an emergency.

I use super glue alot...
Back to top Go down
http://www.americanpitbull-forums.com
Marty
V.I.P.
Marty

Male
Number of posts : 202
Warnings :

emergency tack box Empty
PostSubject: Re: emergency tack box   emergency tack box Icon_minitimeMon 07 Jul 2008, 9:42 pm

Dryer sheets for dogs with storm anxiety, rub the dog down with the sheets and it helps with the static build up which is why they are so anxious.

I'll have to try this on Rufus next time, he don't do thunderstorms well Sad
Back to top Go down
http://www.game-dog.com/
Admin
ADMIN
Admin

Male
Number of posts : 1050
Personalized field : BACK IN ACTION!
Warnings :

emergency tack box Empty
PostSubject: Re: emergency tack box   emergency tack box Icon_minitimeMon 07 Jul 2008, 10:01 pm

This is a good thread....
Back to top Go down
http://www.americanpitbull-forums.com
pitmamma

pitmamma

Female
Warnings :

emergency tack box Empty
PostSubject: Re: emergency tack box   emergency tack box Icon_minitimeMon 07 Jul 2008, 10:38 pm

Marty after the vet explained it, it made a lot of sense. Since it is the static build-up that the dog feels and makes it uncomfortable. I really like this thread too, keep 'em coming.
Back to top Go down
megz

megz

Female
Number of posts : 79
Warnings :

emergency tack box Empty
PostSubject: Re: emergency tack box   emergency tack box Icon_minitimeFri 18 Jul 2008, 1:27 am

Band-aid makes wound glue. used in ER's for years and now available at your local store. safe for humans an animals (as long as they don't eat it Very Happy ). we keep two first aid kits with us, one for the kids and one for the dog. Boomers is pretty simple... first aid glue for deep or pad wounds, gauze, medical tape, first aid/antibiotic cream, and some "wound wrap" (don't know what its really called, the stretchy sticky fabric stuff they wrap your arm in after giving blood) i "wandered off" with a couple rolls when i worked in the ER.
Back to top Go down
RedDoggy
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
RedDoggy

Male
Number of posts : 764
Personalized field : A Fan Of StockYardKennels
Warnings :

emergency tack box Empty
PostSubject: Re: emergency tack box   emergency tack box Icon_minitimeFri 18 Jul 2008, 2:20 am

I thought this was interesting guys... For me, I would need a little more training for something like this but it does look like something we need around for when the girls get into it. Lemme know what y'all think!

RedDoggy, stirrin' it up since 1983

Item# EKT305
$75.00
Product Description
All you need to take care of your pet at home. Kit includes: stapler, staple remover, ice pack, scissors, gloves, 500mg lactated ringer, IV set-up, catheter, dissolveable suture, first aid book, tape, flex bandage, hydrogen peroxide, anticeptic wipes, tweezer, different size gauze in a nice carry case with secure latches.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

emergency tack box Empty
PostSubject: Re: emergency tack box   emergency tack box Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

emergency tack box
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
American Pit Bull :: The Pit :: Health & Nutrition-
Jump to: