American Pit Bull

The American Icon. The American Pit Bull Terrier.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Going Light Barney and Blue Dogs by Richard F. Str

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Sadieblues
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Female
Number of posts : 722
Personalized field : WISE GUY
Warnings :
0 / 1000 / 100

PostSubject: Going Light Barney and Blue Dogs by Richard F. Str   Fri 07 Nov 2008, 9:58 pm

Going Light Barney and Blue Dogs by Richard F. Stratton

Although I have been often referenced as the authority on Going Light Barney, I must confess that I never even saw Barney in holds. I found it quite fascinating, however, that he was one of the most controversial dogs of which I ever knew. I think part of the reason for that fact was Barney’s flamboyant owner, who is still alive as I write this. Although not a bad fellow, he had a way of stirring up the dander of other dog men. Consequently, all of Barney’s accomplishments were always scrutinized with a jaundiced eye. Since I had my picture taken with Barney, a lot of people seem to think that Barney once belonged to me, but such was not the case, although I did own a daughter of his which I bred back to him. That breeding produced George, one of my finest all-time dogs from a pit dog perspective.

It is hard to believe now, but Barney was whelped way back in the sixties, so he is definitely an old timer. He was the product of breeding a daughter of Johnston’s fabulous Goofy dog to a Rascal bitch. That produced Barney’s mother, Penny, and she was nothing to write home about–possibly a cold bitch and a trifle shy. She was bred to Rootberg’s Booger, strictly on the basis of his being a pure Corvino dog. So it is not surprising that not much was expected of the litter, but it produced Barney and several females which were renowned for their gameness, one of them, Going Light Babe, winning a Best in Show down South in a losing effort!

Barney had a storied career. He had been farmed out to some guy in the inner city to raise and was rolled from the time he was six months old, something no educated dog man would do. After he killed Two-Dollar George, a highly valued pit dog in a pick up match when he was only a little over a year old, he was reclaimed by his owner, who called himself Larry Light in the pit circuit. He was matched into fast company down in Mississippi against a Carver dog and won handily in about twenty minutes. This was the convention which also featured Boomerang and the immortal Bolio. Bolio won best in show because he won over the dog with the highest reputation, a dog which was thought to be unbeatable.

The controversy comes from the fact that Barney was counted out in his third match in Dallas. Larry swore up and down that he was doped, as the dog didn’t know where he was, and he had lost his equilibrium for several hours. Whatever happened, Barney came back to win six in row against the best the other side could come up with. One match was raided and the dogs confiscated. This was before the felony laws, and the dogs were broken out of the pound in which they were held. The match was held, and Barney won in an hour and five minutes. Barney was dyed black and shipped to a preacher in New Mexico. Part of the reason for all of this chicanery was that Larry was suing the animal control people for losing possession of his dog!

Barney’s toughest match was against another ear dog, extremely well thought of, and the match went nearly two hours before Barney prevailed. That was back in the oil crisis days, in which you couldn’t plan a long trip, as you might run out of fuel. Larry and his cohorts loaded up a station wagon with several gallons of gasoline so that they could make the trip there and back without having to stop or having to worry about fuel. I was invited to go along, but I was not of a mind to travel in that rolling bomb! Hence, I missed my chance to see a great match. Barney usually had an easy time with his opponents, controlling them with ear holds until the dog was worn down, and then Barney went in for the kill. I think it was the "quit" in Dallas that made it possible for Larry to go on finding matches for Barney.

After the above mentioned match, a fellow named Jobe, who put out a pit dog magazine, did a cover story on Barney. He had been there at the match, and he dubbed Barney a "grand champion." That was the first time I had ever seen that term used. Now, he would not be eligible for the title because of the loss in his second match. Mitigating circumstances don’t count, and besides, Larry was never able to prove anything.

Barney was known more for ability than for gameness, but he was game enough to win, and the loss came under suspicious circumstances. Barney was an unusual Bulldog in that he had an aloof personality, in direct contradistinction to most Bulldogs. He won Larry’s wife over because he would sit up and do tricks on the chain or in the kennel run, but once he was taken out, his demeanor changed completely. He had achieved his goal, so the charm was gone, and he simply was off to do what he wanted. Larry, who was a real estate speculator who owned half the land in San Diego county, loved the deviousness of the dog. He was also delighted that his wife, who abhorred the pit dog game, was Barney’s stoutest ally–although she certainly never went to a match.

Barney was never open to stud, and he was never bred much, as Larry seemed to concentrate his breeding program on breeding dogs that were down from Penny and in breeding Barney’s sisters, in particular Babe. Larry was one of those guys who kept track of litters by naming all the pups with the same letter, but somehow one in this litter got named Scarlet. Although a fine pit dog, she escaped Larry’s ownership. Another game sister of Barney was Belle, who won several matches.

As for blue dogs, most of them are sought out today by those who want a dog for appearance. I have even heard it said that all blue dogs stem from Staf blood. Being of a skeptical nature, I tend to doubt that "fact." One of the best dogs I ever saw was a blue dog and his brother in a Las Vegas convention. They were both talented and game, but I was never able to ascertain their breeding–but they certainly seemed to have no Staf blood in them. Besides, the Staf standard calls for a black nose, so I doubt that would be the source of the blue dogs. In truth, there are probably a multitude of sources, as it seems to be a simple Mendelian trait.

Readers may be amused to learn that Heinzl once informed me that the last Stratton he knew was an African-American gentleman who had a strain of blue dogs. Again, he didn’t know the breeding on them, but Howard said they were as game a line as he had ever seen. And Howard was tough to please!

People with a little experience are quick to denounce Barney and the blue dogs. I would suggest a little caution in that respect. Barney may have not been the greatest dog of his time, but he beat some really good dogs. And not all blue dogs are alike.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
buzhunter
V.I.P.

Male
Number of posts : 347
Warnings :
0 / 1000 / 100

PostSubject: Re: Going Light Barney and Blue Dogs by Richard F. Str   Sat 08 Nov 2008, 8:23 am

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Barney brindle and white? (and no, not blue brindle, lmao)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
buzhunter
V.I.P.

Male
Warnings :
0 / 1000 / 100

PostSubject: Re: Going Light Barney and Blue Dogs by Richard F. Str   Sat 08 Nov 2008, 8:24 am

Actually, haven't we done this before somewhere?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RedDoggy
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Male
Number of posts : 764
Personalized field : A Fan Of StockYardKennels
Warnings :
0 / 1000 / 100

PostSubject: Re: Going Light Barney and Blue Dogs by Richard F. Str   Sat 08 Nov 2008, 2:17 pm

We have and it went south.... maybe it'll do better here. We'll keep an eye on it.

"She's built like a steakhouse but handles like a bistro..."
-Zap Brannigan
Back to top Go down
View user profile
littlecountry

Male
Number of posts : 154
Personalized field : TO THE CORNER
Warnings :
2 / 1002 / 100

PostSubject: Re: Going Light Barney and Blue Dogs by Richard F. Str   Sat 08 Nov 2008, 2:46 pm

BLUE=CULL
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.littlecountrykennels.com/
RedDoggy
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Male
Number of posts : 764
Personalized field : A Fan Of StockYardKennels
Warnings :
0 / 1000 / 100

PostSubject: Re: Going Light Barney and Blue Dogs by Richard F. Str   Sat 08 Nov 2008, 3:18 pm

You know, at one point Red was NOT desired at all. The red APBT almost went extinct, thank goodness for a few doggers that had an affliction. They came together and brought back the rednose all together. But, you see how hate for a color can destroy the future and past of a breed?

"She's built like a steakhouse but handles like a bistro..."
-Zap Brannigan
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sadieblues
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Female
Warnings :
0 / 1000 / 100

PostSubject: Re: Going Light Barney and Blue Dogs by Richard F. Str   Sat 08 Nov 2008, 6:33 pm

AMEN I just pointed that out Little country dude you need to read your history books old doggers HATED RED DOGS~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you are so well versed on your history you would not be making such a bold statement. Further more there are many RED BLACK WHITE curs out there so I wouldn't be so quick to run your mouth. You may think because you own red dogs that makes your dogs somehow superior to the rest of the apbt's but from what I have seen you dont have much to brag about so I would think before you speak and furthermore any repuatble breeder does not register their dogs with the CKC. I know you have registered your dogs with them and every other registry but that registry is a joke. Don't start writing checks your body can't cash. As a matter of fact since you LC are saying all blue dogs should be culled I think alot of back yard breeders should be culled and not allowed to breed to begin with many of the dogs that come off back yard breeder's yards are a bunch of curs to begin with.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
wmssh

Number of posts : 39
Warnings :
0 / 1000 / 100

PostSubject: Re: Going Light Barney and Blue Dogs by Richard F. Str   Sun 09 Nov 2008, 2:14 am

back in my old neighborhood most dogmen wouldnt even feed a rednose dog, of course that is what i had so she was automatically a curr, she proved her worth an then some, i dont label a dog for its color but i will say i dont care for bullys or xxl "pits" that have been admitted cross breeds then reg. as pure...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sadieblues
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Female
Warnings :
0 / 1000 / 100

PostSubject: Re: Going Light Barney and Blue Dogs by Richard F. Str   Sun 09 Nov 2008, 2:22 am

Great Point I agree with your statement 100% wmssh !
Back to top Go down
View user profile
buzhunter
V.I.P.

Male
Warnings :
0 / 1000 / 100

PostSubject: Re: Going Light Barney and Blue Dogs by Richard F. Str   Sun 09 Nov 2008, 8:37 am

Well, the difference is that red dogs have proven themselves time and time again. With the vast majority of blue dogs being less than impressive in type and ability, the blue dogs have their work cut out for them. Who knows? Maybe some passionate blue dog enthusiasts can get out there and make a good name for them that the fraternity cannot deny. I have seen a couple really nice blue dogs BUT I have seen countless worthless ones. Only time will tell, but for now the shitty reputation is not so difficult to understand, is it?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
wmssh

Warnings :
0 / 1000 / 100

PostSubject: Re: Going Light Barney and Blue Dogs by Richard F. Str   Sun 09 Nov 2008, 9:54 pm

i agree Most lines of blue dogs have been waterd down so bad by breeding just for color and looks rather than for tempermant and working ability... i have seen some nice blues but also alot of not nice ones compared to alot of other lines.... but there are some nice ones out there still - maybe just a lil harder to find?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sadieblues
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Female
Warnings :
0 / 1000 / 100

PostSubject: Re: Going Light Barney and Blue Dogs by Richard F. Str   Mon 10 Nov 2008, 2:08 pm

Well as a blue dog owner who also owns a red dog a fawn and a brindle lol I can understand both sides of the argument. But I am def proud of my girl sadie and not just because she is mine. She IMO without being bias is a great example of a blue apbt I work really hard with my dogs and am going to get them out there and hopefully make a better name for blue dogs sadie is my blue project lol if you will . My goal is to get sadie championed out by the time she is 2 and get her ofa and hip testing done. I have talked to a few folks who actually know what they are talking about and they seem to think she will do well and that I need to hurry up and start her now so that's what I am doing I live in georgia so alot of the shows are not far of reach from us. I will never be one of those people who has blue dogs in their yard but is ashamed to show them off for the fear of what people may say. I truly am proud of all my dogs and I know their potential and their drive. Yeah you have shitty breeder's who have made some bad choices and pimped out the blue color thing but that does not make all blue dogs worthless I will never believe that color can effect a dogs ability to preform or out perform a dog of another color. I know that is foolish and just not true. And only a fool would believe that. JMO
Back to top Go down
View user profile
wmssh

Warnings :
0 / 1000 / 100

PostSubject: Re: Going Light Barney and Blue Dogs by Richard F. Str   Mon 10 Nov 2008, 3:33 pm

i agree there, when i got my red bitch, she was dogged so bad cause she was red/ red nose and that ment she wasn't worth the food she was fed, she made CH. and proved her worth in several areas, color in that respect doesn't mean squat... a good dog is where you find it when it comes down to the line.... i have seen blue dogs in the show ring, a few looked good there is even a nice blue champ around these parts, but most you see are poorly bred and very overweight - i imagine those owners don't have a clue how unhealthy that is
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MSK
Greeter

Female
Number of posts : 240
Warnings :
0 / 1000 / 100

PostSubject: Re: Going Light Barney and Blue Dogs by Richard F. Str   Mon 10 Nov 2008, 7:24 pm

There's Going Light Barney.

And to the blue statement I guess some people just won't learn a color is just that a COLOR nothing else.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://tntforum.heavenforum.com
littlecountry

Male
Warnings :
2 / 1002 / 100

PostSubject: Re: Going Light Barney and Blue Dogs by Richard F. Str   Tue 11 Nov 2008, 12:42 am

Wel just for info i dont go off color i go off blood line if bonnie and clyde would have been black i would have had black dogs it isnt a color thing blue is a ressesive gen im not into breeding a bad dog to a good dog why i dna profile cause ofa can test for things in the dna that can be pasted on if you notice i line breed and do a few out crosses with proven crosses that keep the GAME BREED APBT ALIVE I want 2 pure COLBY DOGS TO BREED thats what im in it for to preserve the breed i love and trie to make it better not water it down so if anything i do or say offends you tuff and untilevery true game dog person in the world is dead they will never be a good name for a blue dog grey or any other color or any thing that isnt a good trait that shouldnt be breed back into the blood line
Back to top Go down
littlecountry

Male
Warnings :
2 / 1002 / 100

PostSubject: Re: Going Light Barney and Blue Dogs by Richard F. Str   Tue 11 Nov 2008, 1:41 am

There is no "rare" pit bull color. And the color of a dog's nose does not indicate it is a certain "type" of pit bull. Color is simply an expression of genetic code concerning coat color.
It might surprise you to learn that today the so called "rare blue pit bull" is in fact not rare, and not a pit bull! The blue color is a dilute of black, and occurs in the American Staffordshire breed. How it popped up in those dogs is any one's guess. Blue is a mastiff color, not a bulldog color. (There are no blue English bulldogs, but the English mastiff did used to come in blue, as do some other mastiff breeds).
Here is what Louis Colby has to say about the "blue" dogs, and I can't think of any better authority: "As a boy growing up, and listening to multiple conversations between my father and visitors such as Collagan, Heinzl Vose, Donovan, and other dogmen from all over the country..never did the word blue appear. There never was a blue Colby dog in my father's yard, nor mine.To my knowledge there was never a blue colored dog reported in any match or sporting event."
Back to top Go down
Sadieblues
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Female
Warnings :
0 / 1000 / 100

PostSubject: Re: Going Light Barney and Blue Dogs by Richard F. Str   Tue 11 Nov 2008, 1:58 am

The fact is the color BLUE does exist in the apbt at one time the amstaff and the APBT were considered the same breed ... We can copy and paste all day long but BLUE is an apbt color regognized by the adba/ukc/akc there is also some theroy that the blue pual was crossed into the apbt before they went extinct and those dogs were imported to the US. There is also evidence to support inbreeding being a contibutor to producing blue offspring. I'll tell you this much and we will leave it here as a moderator of this forum and out of respect for those who own blue bullies/bullies/or blue apbt's you will not continue to bash peoples dogs. Consider yourself for warned. Comments like BLUE= CULL is not tolerated or welcome here. Any bully bashing while it may not be your cup of tea is not welcome here. You need to respect the fact people own thes types of dogs weather you agree with it or not. An opinion is one thing but degrading someones dog is another there is a fine line and you crossed it little country.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MSK
Greeter

Female
Number of posts : 240
Warnings :
0 / 1000 / 100

PostSubject: Re: Going Light Barney and Blue Dogs by Richard F. Str   Tue 11 Nov 2008, 2:22 am

okay first off who the heck ever said blue was a rare color on here NOONE. I also have a question okay so you say that your gonna keep the "GAMEBRED APBT" alive right??? Well I wanna know how you can do this unless your competing in illegal activities how can you honestly be sure thats what your doing???? If your not then what makes your dog anymore "GAMEBRED" then mine or anyoneelses for that matter???? I don't care what your dogs ancestors did that doesn't speak for your dog just b/c the ancestors were "GAME" doesn't mean yours are. And BTW any old dogger will tell you they never went by pedigree yea they done line breedings but pedigree was last thing on their minds and what makes linebreeding anybetter then a scatterbred dog NOTHING plenty of scatterbred dogs that were great box dogs in the old days. And before you go ranting a raving this and that about me having blue dogs buddy you better check yourself b/c I started out with "GAMEBRED" dogs I had a almost pure bolio bred male 48X bolio in 8 generations had me wsome heavy Tombstone, Yellow, Redboy, Jeep, ect. I have a friend of mine a dogman of 35 years I do not approve of his ways but you know hey hes good to have around though for information. I may be young but I'm not a complete retard when it comes to these dogs. Yea I got blue dogs but it has been proven fact inbred black dogs like wildside dogs for instance throw grey/blue dogs. But anyways I have wrote a book but one question I wanna know bloodlines aside what makes your dogs anymore "GAMEBRED" then mine or anyonelses????
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://tntforum.heavenforum.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Going Light Barney and Blue Dogs by Richard F. Str   

Back to top Go down

Going Light Barney and Blue Dogs by Richard F. Str
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1