American Pit Bull
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

American Pit Bull

The American Icon. The American Pit Bull Terrier.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

What do you consider to be a puppymill?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
midwest_showdogs
V.I.P.
midwest_showdogs

Male
Number of posts : 132
Warnings :
What do you consider to be a puppymill? Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100What do you consider to be a puppymill? Right_bar_bleue

What do you consider to be a puppymill? Empty
PostSubject: What do you consider to be a puppymill?   What do you consider to be a puppymill? Icon_minitimeSun 29 Jun 2008, 6:53 pm

any suggestions?
Back to top Go down
RedDoggy
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
RedDoggy

Male
Number of posts : 764
Personalized field : A Fan Of StockYardKennels
Warnings :
What do you consider to be a puppymill? Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100What do you consider to be a puppymill? Right_bar_bleue

PostSubject: Re: What do you consider to be a puppymill?   What do you consider to be a puppymill? Icon_minitimeSun 29 Jun 2008, 7:36 pm

My idea of a puppy mill is exactly what the media portrays it as, point blank. For some reason people have puppy mills and BYBs confused as one in the same. But my definition is simple;
A person or persons breeding multiple dogs yearly, to have a consistant flow of puppies, resulting in the ill treatment of the puppies and little concern of the breeding stock as well. Breeding for little purpose other than profit is WRONG on so many levels. These "breeders" are breeding their stock as much as possible, 2X per year (more if bitch is irregular) and through out the stocks entire lives with no reguards to the age of the stock. Not to mention the mills will breed any mix to meet the demand of trends. The only business concept that the puppy mill breeder understands is supply and demand. It's sad to see yards with tens to hundreds of cages full of malnurished, emaciated, and ill stock. There is also little care for the pups as well. These "breeders" sole purpose in owning dogs is to exploit the reproductive organs that these dogs possess. Commonly, these dogs are born with defects due to poor breeding habits and health issues of the original stock. These puppies are usually seperated from the mother too early and weaned improperly. I have seen footage of a puppy mill that actually had a fire going on while the undercover investigators were there. The owner improperly wired heating pads in the cages and was uneffected by the fire, said it wasn't the first time! Later on, after the property was siezed, there were barrels found that were full of dead burned puppies. Since there is little care for these puppies, the pups sustain emotional and physical damage from it's time spent in the breeders yard. The most common injury seen on mill dogs is wire damage and defects of the feet, caused by spending its entire life standing on wire. Inbreeding without proper health testing or science is also common, resulting in congenial defects such as hip displasia, heart disease, enlarged pallet, cherry eye, suseptible pattelas, and so on, and so on. I know that I've just barely scratched the surface here, but I would like to add... Pet Store dogs are more than likely from a puppy mill. Pet stores need a constant supply and mills are doing like the name says, "milling". If you think that the cute little puppy you see in the pet shop sounds a little expensive, just wait till you get the vet bills!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIV5l4gd_Oo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxY51QlpEG0
Back to top Go down
Tcarter

Tcarter

Male
Number of posts : 129
Warnings :

PostSubject: Re: What do you consider to be a puppymill?   What do you consider to be a puppymill? Icon_minitimeThu 03 Jul 2008, 12:31 pm

RedDoggy wrote:
My idea of a puppy mill is exactly what the media portrays it as, point blank. For some reason people have puppy mills and BYBs confused as one in the same. But my definition is simple;
A person or persons breeding multiple dogs yearly, to have a consistant flow of puppies, resulting in the ill treatment of the puppies and little concern of the breeding stock as well. Breeding for little purpose other than profit is WRONG on so many levels. These "breeders" are breeding their stock as much as possible, 2X per year (more if bitch is irregular) and through out the stocks entire lives with no reguards to the age of the stock. Not to mention the mills will breed any mix to meet the demand of trends. The only business concept that the puppy mill breeder understands is supply and demand. It's sad to see yards with tens to hundreds of cages full of malnurished, emaciated, and ill stock. There is also little care for the pups as well. These "breeders" sole purpose in owning dogs is to exploit the reproductive organs that these dogs possess. Commonly, these dogs are born with defects due to poor breeding habits and health issues of the original stock. These puppies are usually seperated from the mother too early and weaned improperly. I have seen footage of a puppy mill that actually had a fire going on while the undercover investigators were there. The owner improperly wired heating pads in the cages and was uneffected by the fire, said it wasn't the first time! Later on, after the property was siezed, there were barrels found that were full of dead burned puppies. Since there is little care for these puppies, the pups sustain emotional and physical damage from it's time spent in the breeders yard. The most common injury seen on mill dogs is wire damage and defects of the feet, caused by spending its entire life standing on wire. Inbreeding without proper health testing or science is also common, resulting in congenial defects such as hip displasia, heart disease, enlarged pallet, cherry eye, suseptible pattelas, and so on, and so on. I know that I've just barely scratched the surface here, but I would like to add... Pet Store dogs are more than likely from a puppy mill. Pet stores need a constant supply and mills are doing like the name says, "milling". If you think that the cute little puppy you see in the pet shop sounds a little expensive, just wait till you get the vet bills!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIV5l4gd_Oo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxY51QlpEG0

I would have to agree here with the millers. on the other hand my pup is from a breeder that has been doing it for about 3-4 years he has about 5 dogs and he is trying to get things up and running but his dogs (mine) can be dual registered BFKC and ADBA He only turns 1 litter a year possibly 2 this year he has a female that is 2 and has some points to her CH (i'm not into the show ring at all) and he does his home work to make sure the litter has a good chance of being the complete package of a APBT true working dogs. He doesn't have a building or anything like that he keeps dogs in his yard except the puppies and mother and he has a house dog. Would he be considered a BYB ...I don't consider him that or a peddler. (Why) becasue i had to go find him he wasn't looking for sales or anything like that he wasn't in the paper or on the net selling "pits"

He weight pulls with my pups dad BTW i know it's not relative to the topic but i like his muscle look

http://www.apbt.online-pedigrees.com/public/printPedigree.php?dog_id=256942
Back to top Go down
RedDoggy
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
RedDoggy

Male
Warnings :

PostSubject: Re: What do you consider to be a puppymill?   What do you consider to be a puppymill? Icon_minitimeThu 03 Jul 2008, 5:46 pm

Oh no.....
Nothing against breeders, if nobody was breeding dog where in the heck would all of the dogs come from, I'm sure PETA would love that! Puppy mills are pushing out 100s of dogs per year. As for the BYB question, sounds like a "no". Being in the back yard doesn't make a BYB either. Hell, you could breed in the livingroom, the garage, the back of a truck and you might still be a BYB. You know your stuff TC, you're just playin' with us, rofl! haha
Back to top Go down
keith

Male
Number of posts : 63
Warnings :

PostSubject: Re: What do you consider to be a puppymill?   What do you consider to be a puppymill? Icon_minitimeThu 03 Jul 2008, 9:46 pm

Anyone who breeds more than a few litters in a year or breeds for profit is a puppymiller to me,that being said,there are a few folks i consider puppy millers that hae good dogs i wouldnt mind owning.
Anyone advertising litters over the internet or on forums is verging on miller or byb status to me also,still good dogs are were you find them so im not saying all of them or bad,actually some pretty pretigious breeders were also considered peddlers,but in my opinion its in poor taste and shows a lack of class and respect for the breed,jmo....................................................................................
Back to top Go down
RedDoggy
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
RedDoggy

Male
Warnings :

PostSubject: Re: What do you consider to be a puppymill?   What do you consider to be a puppymill? Icon_minitimeThu 03 Jul 2008, 9:55 pm

I dunno. I like to use Patrick as an exapmle of how the standard for peddling can be thrown off. Pat Patrick HAD over 100 dogs on his yard. The man sold Bolio blood left and right..... But he did it with good intentions, he did it because he has gotten older and still had some "unfinished" perfectionism left in him.
Back to top Go down
Tcarter

Tcarter

Male
Number of posts : 129
Warnings :

PostSubject: Re: What do you consider to be a puppymill?   What do you consider to be a puppymill? Icon_minitimeThu 03 Jul 2008, 11:17 pm

yeah puppy pushers are in it for the money and they usually don't care who their dogs go to and if they are selling to the petstores and the petstores are charging a overhead charge they are just as guilty
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What do you consider to be a puppymill?   What do you consider to be a puppymill? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What do you consider to be a puppymill?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
American Pit Bull :: The Pit :: APBT General Discussion-
Jump to: