American Pit Bull

The American Icon. The American Pit Bull Terrier.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

To Cull or Not To

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Admin
ADMIN

Male
Number of posts : 1050
Personalized field : BACK IN ACTION!
Warnings :
0 / 1000 / 100

PostSubject: Re: To Cull or Not To   Wed 03 Sep 2008, 7:53 pm

wmssh wrote:
i had a cop tell me once that if i posted a beware of dog sign then that was admitting that my dogs were ha and so on an so forth! my dogs are not ha so i didnt post to avoid the trap the cop was trying to set - he had me in a loose loose situation so i just moved... - tho maybe that was their goal?

I've heard the same thing, It's aknoledging you have a dangerous dog..

"When I start breeding for color I'll sure call them Staffordsires because that's all they will be in a couple of generations". HOWARD HEINZL
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.americanpitbull-forums.com
Indica

Number of posts : 13
Warnings :
0 / 1000 / 100

PostSubject: Re: To Cull or Not To   Thu 09 Oct 2008, 1:01 am

Depends on the type of aggression.

Fear biters are the dogs that need to be culled asap. Especially in a high strung breed like the apbt. This type of agression is what is being displayed when you peer through a fence and the dog is snarling, bristling, and making a real scene. This dog, depending on the severity of it's fear, will break down and become neurotic opon confrontation, or proceed to tear you to pieces. This dog is the type that will be apparently fine one day, and kill the next. Unstable. Neurotic. Cull.

On the other hand, a dog displaying defensive aggression, is a confident, territorial animal that feels the urge to protect it's own. As long as this dog is submissive to it's master and properly restrained, is acceptable to a certain degree. A dog with defensive drive that goes further than visual and auditory threats and proceeds with pysical aggression needs to be culled. The liability is too great and this is uncharacteristic of the breed.

And lastly, a dog exhibiting prey drive aggression is completely acceptable, but MUST be carefully monitored and adequate prevention must be exercised to protect children and other animals that the dog may focus on.

Oh, and yes, having a beware of dog sign on your property admits that you have a HA dog and you are responsible for it's actions. These signs are recommended only for dog owners who have all bark and no bite animals. If you have a biter, have him properly restrained, and NO sign.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RedDoggy
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Male
Number of posts : 764
Personalized field : A Fan Of StockYardKennels
Warnings :
0 / 1000 / 100

PostSubject: Re: To Cull or Not To   Thu 09 Oct 2008, 1:09 am

Why does culling need to be stictly based on aggro? I mean, there are a hundred other reasons to cull. In this day in age, euthanizing isn't the most politically correct way to stop traits. Hell, neuter em all unless they have cock arms, easty westies, weigh 150lbs, stand 12 inches tall, have a cat face, and most of all a butt on their backs... Cause if they ain't these things then they ain't a pit, LMFAO!

"She's built like a steakhouse but handles like a bistro..."
-Zap Brannigan
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NesOne

Male
Number of posts : 505
Personalized field : OH WELL...
Warnings :
0 / 1000 / 100

PostSubject: Re: To Cull or Not To   Thu 09 Oct 2008, 12:44 pm

RedDoggy wrote:
Why does culling need to be stictly based on aggro? I mean, there are a hundred other reasons to cull. In this day in age, euthanizing isn't the most politically correct way to stop traits. Hell, neuter em all unless they have cock arms, easty westies, weigh 150lbs, stand 12 inches tall, have a cat face, and most of all a butt on their backs... Cause if they ain't these things then they ain't a pit, LMFAO!

It doesn't, however, this thread started as being specific to human aggression.

There is definitely more reasons to cull, but I think that would require a new thread, as to not hijack this one.

RedDoggy
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Male
Warnings :
0 / 1000 / 100

PostSubject: Re: To Cull or Not To   Thu 09 Oct 2008, 1:04 pm

I say highjack it! The name of the thread is "to cull or not to cull" so lets go there......

"She's built like a steakhouse but handles like a bistro..."
-Zap Brannigan
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gingereli

Number of posts : 22
Warnings :
0 / 1000 / 100

PostSubject: Re: To Cull or Not To   Thu 16 Oct 2008, 12:01 pm

One of my males is only HA to certain people, he is great with most adults and all children. He does not attack the people he doesn't like, just tends to go real stiff (same way he does when he sees another dog) which is kind of scary, also his hair stands up on his back. He is so good natured with people except maybe 5 different men I sometimes think he's just a better judge of character than me. I don't normally tolerate any HA, but in some situations I guess there could be exceptions.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NesOne

Male
Number of posts : 505
Personalized field : OH WELL...
Warnings :
0 / 1000 / 100

PostSubject: Re: To Cull or Not To   Thu 16 Oct 2008, 12:16 pm

All right I'll go there, if I was a breeder and was breeding my papered, championed dogs, I would cull every single one that did not fit the standard.

buzhunter
V.I.P.

Male
Number of posts : 347
Warnings :
0 / 1000 / 100

PostSubject: Re: To Cull or Not To   Thu 16 Oct 2008, 4:02 pm

Yeah, but what standard? Registry standards or dogman standards? Chinaman was an outright man-biter and he was definitely not culled. He had qualities that would make anyone forgive him for a minor imperfection. Plenty of "standard" pit bull lovers are extremely thankful for that oversight.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RedDoggy
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Male
Warnings :
0 / 1000 / 100

PostSubject: Re: To Cull or Not To   Thu 16 Oct 2008, 4:55 pm

I thought he was just a nipper/