American Pit Bull
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

American Pit Bull

The American Icon. The American Pit Bull Terrier.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Heart murmur

Go down 
AuthorMessage
lovemypits
Greeter
lovemypits

Female
Number of posts : 166
Warnings :
Heart murmur Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Heart murmur Right_bar_bleue

Heart murmur Empty
PostSubject: Heart murmur   Heart murmur Icon_minitimeTue 12 Aug 2008, 9:49 pm

Has anyone dealt with this before?
Well about 2 weeks ago I noticed that Harley didn't seem his normal hyper self. He was still eating and relieving himself, but on our 3 mile weekend hikes he'd be panting by the end (which I thought was because of heat). A few days later I noticed that his feces were encased in slime (gross sorry). So, this weekend he started to have a little cough. It was almost like a hack, I thought he had something stuck in his throat because just prior he was chewing on his rope.
Well, I took him to the vet today and his temp was normal and everything checked out. It was when she was trying to listen to his heart that she said he had a heart murmur. (mind you on his yearly check up in March his heart was fine). I ran to the car to get Sasha and thank goodness she was fine. After 2 x-rays, an EKG, and a few hundred dollars later this is the senerio.
One x-ray showed the right side of his heart is enlarged a bit, and the other x-ray showed his lungs had something in them.. (i was so in shock and just staring i can't remember what she said). She told me lately there has been a huge increase in dogs that have had viral infections and that possibly Harley contracted a virus and it was attacking him at his heart valve. If this is the case the penacillin (sp) should help that. He is also taking Enalapril which she said will help any heart disease. BUT the enalapril can harm his kidneys. He also had an EKG which did look normal, but she said it is very common for boxers to have heart arithnias (sp again sorry).
If it is not the valve infection he'll have to wear a monitor for 24hrs to take a constant EKG and if he has 40 or more in a day he has the arithnia. Which my vet said he could go on forever or one day just have a cardiac arrest and die. He'd also have to have a cardiogram ( i think) where they could actually see his heart and the valves to find out what is the problem, and if needed valve transplant. Which is only done at TX A&M university or something.
I pray pray pray that because this is hereditary that since Sasha is from the same litter she does not have this same problem down the road. My vet seems to think she has more of the pit bullness (for lack of better words) and will not have these ailments that are known to the boxer breed.
Sorry this was long. Has anyone had anything like this with their dog? If so what was the prognosis?
Please keep Harley in your prayers that it is just the infection, not heart disease.
Heart murmur 100_0895
Back to top Go down
lovemypits
Greeter
lovemypits

Female
Number of posts : 166
Warnings :
Heart murmur Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Heart murmur Right_bar_bleue

Heart murmur Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heart murmur   Heart murmur Icon_minitimeMon 18 Aug 2008, 3:34 pm

Hmm... well just an update. Harley had kennel cough, which he was nice enough to share with his sister. They are both better from that, and harley goes back in for his check up next week to find out how the other medicine is doing for his heart.
Back to top Go down

Heart murmur
Page 1 of 1