American Pit Bull
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

American Pit Bull

The American Icon. The American Pit Bull Terrier.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Positive/negative training

Go down 
+2
NesOne
joshutup
6 posters
AuthorMessage
joshutup

Number of posts : 15
Warnings :
Positive/negative training Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Positive/negative training Right_bar_bleue

Positive/negative training Empty
PostSubject: Positive/negative training   Positive/negative training Icon_minitimeTue 29 Jul 2008, 6:18 pm

I've been reading mixed things about how to properly train a pit. For instance, the lady running the animal shelter told me to flick his nose if he bites. Some "experts" seem to think that punishment causes aggressiveness, but others don't.

Anybody have an opinion on that?

So far I've only used positive reinforcement (aside from the occasional "no!" when I catch him using the bathroom inside) and after two days I've only had to deal with 3 accidents (which in my experience is pretty good for a puppy that age).

I'm also slightly worried about our other dog, right now Blue is just a puppy, but when he gets older will he try to dominate/hurt his older brother?
Back to top Go down
NesOne
NesOne

Male
Number of posts : 505
Personalized field : OH WELL...
Warnings :
Positive/negative training Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Positive/negative training Right_bar_bleue

PostSubject: Re: Positive/negative training   Positive/negative training Icon_minitimeTue 29 Jul 2008, 6:27 pm

I feel that animal shelter workers have their own tricks for dealing with dogs, kind of like 'tough love' if you will. I use the Cesar Milan method, and jab my dog with 2 fingers on the neck, and make the "shhh" sound.

As far as the dominance issues, that all just depends on your puppy. Some are o.k. with not being the alpha dog, and some are not. If your dog wants to be the alpha dog, then hopefully your jack russel will assume the follower role. Just pay attention to the way he interacts, and be persistent with correcting all unwanted behavior.
Back to top Go down
BlueBullyBabe
V.I.P.
BlueBullyBabe

Number of posts : 477
Personalized field : Possessed By The Devil... AKA RedDoggy!
Warnings :

PostSubject: Re: Positive/negative training   Positive/negative training Icon_minitimeTue 29 Jul 2008, 6:28 pm

It can make them hand shy and hand agressive to flick their nose. If you have ever had a parrot they always tell you NOT to tap the beak it will teach the bird to fear your hand and bite when they are close-Same holds true here.

a good No works or 'yelping' just like a littermate would if the dog bit it too hard. I nice high sharp yelp and praise when he stops the behavior. SOmetimes a yelp and turning away works also.

Pits should NEVER be left alone UNSUPERVISED with other animals or children. YOu may never have a yard fight or an accidental bite but the best way to make sure is to prevent it before it happens. Just watch them when they are together and make sure to halt any scuffles immediatly.

:)
Back to top Go down
Admin
ADMIN
Admin

Male
Number of posts : 1050
Personalized field : BACK IN ACTION!
Warnings :

PostSubject: Re: Positive/negative training   Positive/negative training Icon_minitimeTue 29 Jul 2008, 7:04 pm

Poke him in the neck with two fingers and tell him loudly NO! (For biting)

Some dogs can get along peacefully but not all. Watch and be intuitive..
Always remember that they may not get along and prepare for it so it doesn't come as a surprise..Others will come along to help you too...
Back to top Go down
http://www.americanpitbull-forums.com
RedDoggy
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
RedDoggy

Male
Number of posts : 764
Personalized field : A Fan Of StockYardKennels
Warnings :

PostSubject: Re: Positive/negative training   Positive/negative training Icon_minitimeTue 29 Jul 2008, 9:32 pm

I'm all for flicking the nose when it come to bath tub training, flick it everytime they jump out right? But thats about the only time I believe flicking even works. Yeah, the dog doesn't like it, but the APBT has a high threshold pf pain. It's not that they don't feel it, it's that they work passed it. Possitive reinforcement and pits go hand in hand. Like Blue Bully said, high pitched yelping works best for puppies. Litter mate bites, the other yelp, the litter mate quickly learns that it hurts and not to do it. You really gotta excuse it at younger age though, puppies are definately going to bite. How old is your puppy again?
Back to top Go down
Carriana
V.I.P.
Carriana

Female
Number of posts : 298
Personalized field : U.C.
Warnings :

PostSubject: Re: Positive/negative training   Positive/negative training Icon_minitimeWed 30 Jul 2008, 12:36 am

Over-disiplining can cause your dog to start "hiding" it's bad behavior. For example, if you are too harsh when they go potty inside, the next time, they will avoid the punishment by peeing when and where you cannot see it. Punishment = avoidance. However, if you praise your dog when they do something right, they will go out of their way to do that, since pits absolutely love to be praised (all dogs do, but pits are especially people-oriented). I would have to say 99% positive reinforcement, but I do think that the other 1% of the time you do need to let them know when something is really wrong like chewing or biting. My dogs know what it means when I ask "Did you chew?"
Back to top Go down
joshutup

Warnings :

PostSubject: Re: Positive/negative training   Positive/negative training Icon_minitimeWed 30 Jul 2008, 6:36 pm

RedDoggy wrote:
You really gotta excuse it at younger age though, puppies are definately going to bite. How old is your puppy again?
He's 10 weeks old today, and already 11 lbs. You never know with shelter animals but I think this guy is gunna be big!

Obviously when he bites it doesn't hurt or anything, but I just want to stop that kind of behavior as soon as possible... especially considering when he plays with our other dog he always goes straight for the neck.

I don't really discipline him much right now aside from the occasional "NO!" when he starts chewing on the carpet or other things that puppies do sometimes. Positive reinforcement seems to work VERY well in terms of getting him to do things that I want him to do (like do his business outside for instance) but doesn't really help much getting him to stop him from doing things he shouldn't (like chewing on his leash).

One problem I've been having is trying to crate train him. He doesn't like his crate for some reason (even when I reward him for getting into it) and as soon as I put him in there he barks non-stop. I've tried spraying him with water, but I'm starting to think that's why he doesn't like his crate... I spray him with water when he gets into it and barks. It's starting to seem like a bad cycle, and the water doesn't really do much to keep him from quitting his barking but for a moment.
Back to top Go down
BlueBullyBabe
V.I.P.
BlueBullyBabe

Warnings :

PostSubject: Re: Positive/negative training   Positive/negative training Icon_minitimeWed 30 Jul 2008, 6:47 pm

YOU other dog will have no problem telling the pup when he's had enough.
However you may want to call him off if he starts getting too rowdy to avoid the other dog hurting him while he is still a puppy.

As for the leash you can use some bitter or Yuck spray on it to make it taste bad, or get a chain leash.

DO NOT SPRAY HIM WITH WATER. YOu will teach him his crate is a bad thing!!

Just..deal with it. PUppies will scream and throw a fit the first few times you put him in the crate. Get ear plugs lol. Eventually he will learn that having a fit will get him nowhere. It really won't take very long, just put him in there for 20mins or so at a time, let him have his fit...but wait until a quiet moment to let him out, and praise him for being so good. Also you can get a toy something he loves that he can ONLY have in the crate and that may help. Make is a good thing for him to be in there.

Just hang in there! :)
Back to top Go down
Admin
ADMIN
Admin

Male
Number of posts : 1050
Personalized field : BACK IN ACTION!
Warnings :

PostSubject: Re: Positive/negative training   Positive/negative training Icon_minitimeWed 30 Jul 2008, 6:49 pm

Every time you give him attention while he's barking in his crate you are encouraging him. I know it's hard to do but ignore it... grin
Back to top Go down
http://www.americanpitbull-forums.com
joshutup

Warnings :

PostSubject: Re: Positive/negative training   Positive/negative training Icon_minitimeWed 30 Jul 2008, 6:58 pm

I actually got the idea from the water sprayer from somewhere on the internet, I don't remember where. I had a feeling it wasn't quite right. Just goes to show you can't believe everything on the internet...

Guess I'll just have to ignore him. It sucks the most when we're trying to sleep, bleh.
Back to top Go down
BlueBullyBabe
V.I.P.
BlueBullyBabe

Warnings :

PostSubject: Re: Positive/negative training   Positive/negative training Icon_minitimeWed 30 Jul 2008, 7:09 pm

You may also make him not like water.

If you can try and put him in there during the day for short intervals to get him more used to it. Also right before bed take him out and play REALLY hard with him for about 30mins or so, then he should be good and tired and hopefully fall right asleep in there lol
Back to top Go down
joshutup

Warnings :

PostSubject: Re: Positive/negative training   Positive/negative training Icon_minitimeWed 30 Jul 2008, 8:10 pm

The problem isn't that he doesn't fall asleep as much as he likes to wake up at 3am and start barking for whatever reason.
Back to top Go down
BlueBullyBabe
V.I.P.
BlueBullyBabe

Warnings :

PostSubject: Re: Positive/negative training   Positive/negative training Icon_minitimeWed 30 Jul 2008, 8:23 pm

well he is a puppy still. He may have to pee, they can't hold it for as long as an adult dog. :)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Positive/negative training   Positive/negative training Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Positive/negative training
Page 1 of 1