American Pit Bull
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

American Pit Bull

The American Icon. The American Pit Bull Terrier.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Picking a pup

Go down 
AuthorMessage
midwest_showdogs
V.I.P.
midwest_showdogs

Male
Number of posts : 132
Warnings :
Picking a pup Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Picking a pup Right_bar_bleue

Picking a pup Empty
PostSubject: Picking a pup   Picking a pup Icon_minitimeFri 27 Jun 2008, 11:26 pm

this is a very good way to pick a new pup it has worked for me and my father for many years.
10. Submission and Aggression test Revised:
This three step test is based from Universal Canine behavior. Using three progressive subtle signals that dogs share in communicating for ranking and finding their position in a pack.
1st signal is the Stare: Dogs in nature will challenge for position by staring.
Tester: will go down to the dog/puppies level and initiate and hold eye contact until response is made from pup/dog. Reactions vary according to a dogs inherent submissive or dominant vitrtues: ie; avert gaze, lick at testers face, continue to stare back, ignore.
2nd signal is Verbal: If dogs challenge the first step, in nature the next level is they will growl at the other dog to get their statement across challenging for dominance.
On a pup, Tester: will be verbal using a friendly voice or counteract with a low sounding voice to interact the pup into responding. Note reaction and response.
On an adult dog, Tester: will enforce a basic command to engage a response from dog.
Reactions and the time it took to recieve response and/or refusal to obey is noted.
3rd Signal is Physical: If neither dog is willing to accept a higher ranking dog in the natural order, the next and last resort is a challenge by physical force, the last move for dominance. This can result in a light scuffle to a full blown dog fight some serious enough to the death or until one dog is the victor and alpha above the other. With non serious scuffles usually one dog will stand over or hold the lower ranking dog down on its back and this will be sufficient.
Tester: will "Roll" the pup/dog onto its back and hold it until the pup/dog stops struggling, or if the pup/dog does not challenge the human, for 20 seconds.
Care should be given with adult dogs who show strong alpha tendencies and who may challenge the human on the verbal and physical test.

The tester/handler must prevail over the dog when enforcing rulership.
A dog who wins will think it can challenge the authority of humans and become a serious potential threat and dangerous animal.
This test may not be for everyone, It is not an easy or pretty task to correct an unruly, dominant dog.
Dogs are animals, with a carnal ingrained blueprint to be a canine and are equipped with a full set of choppers and the instinct on how to use them. They live in the moment.
This should never be forgotten even amidst their cute and cuddly wiles.
Of course there are many more things we do but i think this might be the most inportant...
Back to top Go down
midwest_showdogs
V.I.P.
midwest_showdogs

Male
Number of posts : 132
Warnings :
Picking a pup Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Picking a pup Right_bar_bleue

Picking a pup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Picking a pup   Picking a pup Icon_minitimeSat 05 Jul 2008, 4:47 pm

bump
Back to top Go down

Picking a pup
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
American Pit Bull :: The Pit :: APBT General Discussion-
Jump to: