American Pit Bull
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

American Pit Bull

The American Icon. The American Pit Bull Terrier.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Pit Bulls and Children

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
RedDoggy
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
RedDoggy

Male
Number of posts : 764
Personalized field : A Fan Of StockYardKennels
Warnings :
Pit Bulls and Children Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Pit Bulls and Children Right_bar_bleue

Pit Bulls and Children Empty
PostSubject: Pit Bulls and Children   Pit Bulls and Children Icon_minitimeSun 13 Jul 2008, 6:24 pm

Alright guys, this has almost become a taboo subject but I'm ready to groovy !

The general rule is to NOT trust anydog alone with your kids. Let me tell you, I live in a really bad neighborhood. My little girl wants to play out in the backyard all of the time. Ofcourse she can't play out there unsupervised, she's being watched by my pit bulls! We've never had any sort of incident that would make believe that my dogs would harm my child, so I trust them and I trust my judgement. I would like to add, before anyone thinks I'm ignorant to the possibilities, that the back door remains open and I'm only a few feet away.
Back to top Go down
american_pit13

american_pit13

Female
Number of posts : 24
Personalized field : Pits Are For Chicks
Warnings :
Pit Bulls and Children Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Pit Bulls and Children Right_bar_bleue

PostSubject: Re: Pit Bulls and Children   Pit Bulls and Children Icon_minitimeSun 13 Jul 2008, 8:43 pm

Not a good Idea to leave children alone with dogs.......But yeah I do to groovy lol... They are here for my family and if they can't be alone with my daughter why would I want to own a dog or breed like that? 10 years and never an issue with kids ever.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/krugerpitbbulls
Admin
ADMIN
Admin

Male
Number of posts : 1050
Personalized field : BACK IN ACTION!
Warnings :

PostSubject: Re: Pit Bulls and Children   Pit Bulls and Children Icon_minitimeSun 13 Jul 2008, 9:42 pm

Well, If their really small children the parent should be there anyway. But as long as the dog has never had an issue with the child and is at least in the double digits then honestly I wouldn't worry much myself. But that's just me. I know what kind of dogs I have.
Back to top Go down
http://www.americanpitbull-forums.com
RedDoggy
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
RedDoggy

Male
Warnings :

PostSubject: Re: Pit Bulls and Children   Pit Bulls and Children Icon_minitimeSun 13 Jul 2008, 11:23 pm

Well, my little girl is 6 going on 16...
I have her trained to avoid dog attacks. She knows triggers and avoiding tactics, plus she knows the clear signs. Like I say, they're always in ear shot but I trust them completely. Like AmericanPit13 said, if you can't trust them with your kids why would you want them in your house!
Back to top Go down
Sadieblues
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sadieblues

Female
Number of posts : 722
Personalized field : WISE GUY
Warnings :

PostSubject: Re: Pit Bulls and Children   Pit Bulls and Children Icon_minitimeMon 14 Jul 2008, 1:05 am

It's not typical practice to leave dogs alone with kids... Accident's can happen. But I am also guilty of it. I think with smaller kids you should def be there to supervise. But I also would not have a dog in my home that was not a family trustworthy dog. Always use your better judgement.
Back to top Go down
american_pit13

american_pit13

Female
Warnings :

PostSubject: Re: Pit Bulls and Children   Pit Bulls and Children Icon_minitimeMon 14 Jul 2008, 2:04 am

My girl is 3 and a breed expert lol

Pit Bulls and Children CIMG1246
Pit Bulls and Children ACIMG0797
depends on the kid tho too

Last edited by american_pit13 on Mon 14 Jul 2008, 2:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sadieblues
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sadieblues

Female
Warnings :

PostSubject: Re: Pit Bulls and Children   Pit Bulls and Children Icon_minitimeMon 14 Jul 2008, 2:05 am

LOL I am sure look at who her momma is ... She is so adorable :-)
Back to top Go down
american_pit13

american_pit13

Female
Warnings :

PostSubject: Re: Pit Bulls and Children   Pit Bulls and Children Icon_minitimeMon 14 Jul 2008, 2:12 am

Sadieblues wrote:

I was born with pits an hope to die with one in my bed. I hope my daughter carryies the same love and compashion I do. This dog is what started it for me.

Pit Bulls and Children Money
He was my first pit. But my Grandfather took in old fighting dogs and raised them with the family and we had pits when I was a just a baby always. Later we got a rott who was a damn good dog. Lady the earlist pit I remeber was shot by a cop who was entering our yard with a gun drawn ( even tho my sister an me where 3 feet away.)and lady went to defend and was shot which the rickichy (sp) was less than an inch from my sisters head. it took a full round to get into the yard where my sister an I where playing . ...
Back to top Go down
Sadieblues
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sadieblues

Female
Warnings :

PostSubject: Re: Pit Bulls and Children   Pit Bulls and Children Icon_minitimeMon 14 Jul 2008, 2:23 am

awwwwwwwwwwwwww that is awsome what your grandfather did. That is one pretty dog. Wow what a great story. I am sure your little girl will take on that same affection you can already see it in the photo's how much she loves her dogs.
Back to top Go down
buzhunter
V.I.P.
buzhunter

Male
Number of posts : 347
Warnings :

PostSubject: Re: Pit Bulls and Children   Pit Bulls and Children Icon_minitimeMon 14 Jul 2008, 3:56 am

I always keep a close eye with the little kids. But I leave my 8yo alone with mine. I think that's a good age as long as the kid is respectful to the dog. That's the key right there. I'd bet that most dog on kid bites are the fault of the kid.
Back to top Go down
Sadieblues
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sadieblues

Female
Warnings :

PostSubject: Re: Pit Bulls and Children   Pit Bulls and Children Icon_minitimeMon 14 Jul 2008, 4:12 am

Yeah Buzz good point about the kids provoking .. I always trained my kids from an early age no tail pulling ear pulling ruff housing with the dogs. So they know better !!! I think that helps when parents teach kids how to play with dogs
Back to top Go down
RedDoggy
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
RedDoggy

Male
Warnings :

PostSubject: Re: Pit Bulls and Children   Pit Bulls and Children Icon_minitimeMon 14 Jul 2008, 4:31 am

You guys are hittin' the nail on the head! I think that responsible parenting and responsible dog ownership can go hand in hand. Not only should you be properly training the dog you should be training the kid as well. Corbin knows not to be messing with the dogs if I'm not around, definately not to screw with them if they are tethered and she's trained on avoiding. Just a tip for you guys that don't know how to avoid a dog attack;
If the dog is your it's most likely going to give you a warning, if the dog is a stray and is giving you the flags you should A) turn your side to the dog
B) look straight ahead, not facing towards nor away the dog
C) keep eyes ahead
D) keep quiet and calm
E) fold your arm over your chest, as most dog attacks start at the arms
If you do all of this then you are more than likely avoiding a serious attack- By any dog
By not looking at him you're saying I have no interest.
By not turning your back you're saying I'm not vulnerable. And of course if you remain calm and quiet the dog is not being threatend by you and will quickly lose interest as you have shown it none. Practice this with your children guys. I run the drill with my kid and I make it realistic .
Back to top Go down
Admin
ADMIN
Admin

Male
Number of posts : 1050
Personalized field : BACK IN ACTION!
Warnings :

PostSubject: Re: Pit Bulls and Children   Pit Bulls and Children Icon_minitimeMon 14 Jul 2008, 6:48 am

american_pit13 wrote:
Sadieblues wrote:

I was born with pits an hope to die with one in my bed. I hope my daughter carryies the same love and compashion I do. This dog is what started it for me.

Pit Bulls and Children Money
He was my first pit. But my Grandfather took in old fighting dogs and raised them with the family and we had pits when I was a just a baby always. Later we got a rott who was a damn good dog. Lady the earlist pit I remeber was shot by a cop who was entering our yard with a gun drawn ( even tho my sister an me where 3 feet away.)and lady went to defend and was shot which the rickichy (sp) was less than an inch from my sisters head. it took a full round to get into the yard where my sister an I where playing . ...

See, That's me too. I was raised around the real deal..10-15 of them. All had been fought and all were loaded with scars..I had, nor did my parents have a problem with these dogs.. Me and all my buddies played with these dogs all the time with no worries...
Back to top Go down
http://www.americanpitbull-forums.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pit Bulls and Children   Pit Bulls and Children Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Pit Bulls and Children
Page 1 of 1