American Pit Bull
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

American Pit Bull

The American Icon. The American Pit Bull Terrier.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Canidae changed formulas

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
DIESEL

DIESEL

Female
Number of posts : 81
Warnings :
Canidae changed formulas Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Canidae changed formulas Right_bar_bleue

Canidae changed formulas Empty
PostSubject: Canidae changed formulas   Canidae changed formulas Icon_minitimeThu 03 Jul 2008, 5:39 pm

Canidae's NEW formulas

saw this on another forum and thought you all should be aware of it

http://www.canidae.com/new-formulas.html

New 'Original' Formula
Chicken meal, turkey meal, lamb meal, brown rice, white rice, rice bran, peas, potatoes, oatmeal, cracked pearled barley, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), millet, tomato pomace, natural flavor, flaxseed meal, ocean fish meal, choline chloride, sun cured alfalfa meal, inulin (from chicory root), lecithin, sage extract, cranberries, beta carotene, rosemary extract, sunflower oil, yucca schidigera extract, dried enterococcus faecium, dried lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried aspergillus oryzae fermentation extract, dried bacillus subtilis fermentation extract, saccharomyces cerevisiae fermentation solubles, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid, cobalt proteinate, organic selenium, papaya, pineapple.

Old 'Original' Formula
Chicken Meal, Turkey Meal, Brown Rice, White Rice, Lamb Meal, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Herring Meal, Flax Seed, Sun Cured Alfalfa Meal, Sunflower Oil, Chicken, Lecithin, Monocalcium Phosphate, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Linoleic Acid, Rosemary Extract, Sage Extract, Dried Enterococcus Faecium, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Aspergillus Oryzae Fermentation Extract, Dried Bacillus Subtilis Fermentation Extract, Inulin (from Chicory root), Saccharomyces Cerevisiae Fermentation Solubles, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Mixed Tocopherols (source of Vitamin E), Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Cobalt Amino Acid Chelate, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Ascorbic Acid (source of Vitamin C), Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Riboflavin (source of B2), Beta Carotene, Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Calcium Iodate, Folic Acid, D-Biotin, Sodium Selenite, Papaya, Vitamin B12 Supplement.

**Looks like they took out the Herring meal. Added more Lamb meal. Also added Rice bran, peas, and potatoes. Doesn't seem like a bad change but I guess its just good to know! What does everyone else think of the new ingredients?
Back to top Go down
NesOne
NesOne

Male
Number of posts : 505
Personalized field : OH WELL...
Warnings :
Canidae changed formulas Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Canidae changed formulas Right_bar_bleue

PostSubject: Re: Canidae changed formulas   Canidae changed formulas Icon_minitimeThu 03 Jul 2008, 5:52 pm

I wonder why they changed it, but it still looks good to me, but then again, I mostly only check to make sure that there is no corn or wheat gluten.

I was planning on changing over from ALS to Lamb and Rice, but maybe I can just stick to this one, since they added the Lamb meal.
Back to top Go down
DIESEL

DIESEL

Female
Warnings :

PostSubject: Re: Canidae changed formulas   Canidae changed formulas Icon_minitimeThu 03 Jul 2008, 7:11 pm

I just bought another bag yesterday, but it still was the older formula. The new formula still looks good to me too! If you click the link in my original post, it will explain why they changed it...and also what to look for with the new change. ie: different looking kibble etc.

If I'm not mistaken, they changed all their foods formula, even the cat food they make. Due to the economy/ gas prices...
Back to top Go down
DIESEL

DIESEL

Female
Warnings :

PostSubject: Re: Canidae changed formulas   Canidae changed formulas Icon_minitimeThu 03 Jul 2008, 7:17 pm

Here's what Canidae website says about the New Formulas...

About Our New Dry Formulas
What we improved in our formulations.

Meat has always been the first ingredient in all of our products, and now we have added more meat! By diversifying a small portion of our carbohydrate structure we were able to actually lower all carbohydrates, and increase our overall meat content. You will find the main source of real meat protein listed on the label of every bag of CANIDAE All Natural Dog Food and FELIDAE All Natural Cat Food. From the addition of fresh lamb meat to our Canine Lamb and Rice formula, to the increased lamb meal in our All Life Stages formulas, our new formulations continue to reflect the most recent advances in pet nutrition. In addition to brown rice, we have diversified the complex carbohydrates in the formulas to include cracked pearl barley, rice bran, peas and millet for added flavor, nutritional value and easier digestion. These improvements to our CANIDAE All Natural Dog Food and FELIDAE All Natural Cat Food dry formulas have only been made after extensive formulation, nutrient and palatability testing.

Overview of enhancements to all formulas.

Lowered Carbohydrates while Increasing the Overall Carbohydrate Quality, therefore increasing Meat Contents. (see below)
Lowered Total Fiber and Increased the Overall Fiber Quality
Enhanced the Vitamin E Levels in all Formulas
Incorporated Beta Carotene
Incorporated Cranberries for Better Urinary Tract Heath
Increased Palatability
Increased Digestibility
Decreased Stool Volume
Now with diversified carbohydrates.

Brown Rice: One of the most digestible carbohydrate ingredients. Carbohydrates provide energy for all of the body’s vital functions. Excellent carbohydrate source for pets with sensitive digestive systems. Provides niacin, an important B vitamin, to the diet.

Cracked Pearl Barley: A complex carbohydrate and a good source of dietary fiber as well as protein. Also provides B vitamins and natural antioxidants. Antioxidants protect the health of the cells and are important for maintaining excellent overall health. Promotes a healthy digestive tract and reduces the risk of cancers. Lowers blood cholesterol levels and aids in disease resistance.

Rice Bran: The outer layer of the brown rice and is rich in fat and fiber. Contains many natural antioxidants including vitamin E. The fiber provided by rice bran contains a blend of soluble and in soluble fibers, helping to promote ideal stool quality and good digestive health.

Peas: Provide carbohydrates, fiber and protein. Highly digestible and full of vitamin C, a powerful antioxidant. Also provide B vitamins to the diet.

Millet: A protein rich grain, providing important amino acids such as Threonine and Lysine to the diet. A gluten free grain. Also rich in B vitamins.

Why we improved our dry food formulations.

Advances in pet nutrition are continually evolving, presenting new options in formulating premium pet food products. Along with being leaders in these advances, we are also choosing to be proactive and socially responsible in the manufacturing of our products while maintaining the superior quality our customers have come to expect.

Worldwide shortages and the rising prices of many food commodities, especially rice, are affecting people and industries around the globe. By reducing the consumption of U.S. grown rice used to make our premium all natural dry formulas, while at the same time improving on the nutritional benefits, taste and palatability of the formulas themselves, will contribute to reducing pressures being put on worldwide rice supplies and U.S. exports – U.S. exports that are used in many foreign countries around the world to feed the hungry and less fortunate.

At CANIDAE, we believe we are doing our small part in helping to alleviate these current pressures and demands on worldwide food supplies, including the U.S. rice used in making our products. We have improved our formulations, adding more meat proteins and diversifying the complex carbohydrates, without compromising on the nutritional value or benefits.

These changes will also help offset the escalating costs of the human grade food ingredients used in our products so that we can continue to offer the finest choices available in premium, all natural pet nutrition.

We use only USDA #1 choice grade meats. All of our grains, fruits, vegetables and herbs are USA grown and raised. All products are made the CANIDAE Way with NO corn, wheat, soy, by-products, grain fractions, or fillers, and naturally preserved.

What are the benefits of feeding diversified carbohydrates?

Dietary carbohydrates provide animals with a quick source of energy. These carbohydrates must be metabolized by the body first. Glucose is the simplest form of energy that the body can use. Rice solely, creates a quick glucose spike, for instant energy but burns off quickly. By providing a diversified carbohydrate source of varying complexity the blood glucose level does not rise and fall as abruptly as when simple carbohydrates, such as rice only, are ingested. CANIDAE's carbohydrate diversification will allow for a slower rise with a sustained blood glucose level that will also contribute to satiety.

Did you raise the level of carbohydrates?

No, our overall carbohydrate contents are lower. By diversifying our allergen free complex carbohydrates, we actually lowered the total carbohydrate content in all products. Therefore, by lowering the over all carbohydrates we have increased the over meat content. To reiterate, we simply diversified highly digestible quality carbohydrates while lowering the total carbohydrate content, while increasing the overall meat content.

Will the kibble look different?

In some products the kibble in our improved formulation will be lighter in color with a smoother texture. Our nutritional findings show that a finer grind on the ingredients prior to entering the extruder yields better digestion and increased palatability. We have also found that cooking the product at lower temperatures helps to retain beneficial nutrients, and in some formulations yields a lighter kibble.

Will my pet experience loose stools from switching to the improved formula?

Most dogs and cats switch over with no problems whatsoever. If you have a pet with a sensitive digestive system, our findings suggest that within three days stools are firm and normal. If you are concerned, please mix your existing diet with the new 50/50 for the first day, 75/25 the second, and 100% CANIDAE or FELIDAE on the third. If your previous diet is not available, smaller portions with multiple feedings per day, three times being optimal, will speed up the transitional period.

Will my pets like the new formula?

Yes they will. In-house testing for taste, palatability and digestibility of our improved formulations confirms that dogs and cats prefer the taste of our improved formulas by over 3 to 1. Up to 78% of all pets preferred the new formulations. Dogs and Cats love the taste!

I thought the old formula was just fine, why did you improve it?

Nutritional pet information is constantly evolving. With improved data we are able to create improved products. CANIDAE continues striving to provide your beloved pets the most nutritious, all natural, palatable products on the marketplace today. Our new formulas, improved for taste, palatability and nutritional benefits, are a result of this commitment.

Does cracked pearled barley cause allergens similar to wheat?

No. Barley is polished and cracked to create cracked pearled barley. The polishing removes the inedible hull from the kernel, while cracking it improves digestibility. Barley is not known to create allergies, as allergies are generally developed by either long term exposure or the use of inferior ingredients. Although botanically barley, rice and wheat are in the same family, they are allergenically and nutritionally different.

Barley (Hordeum vulgare) is an annual grain, often used in quality health foods. The domesticated form (H. vulgare) is descended from wild barley (H. spontaneum). Wheat (Triticum spp.) is a worldwide cultivated grass from the Levant (area in the Middle East). Globally, after maize, wheat is the second most produced food among the cereal crops. Most tetraploid wheats (e.g., emmer and durum wheat) are derived from wild emmer, T. dicoccoides. Wild emmer is the result of a hybridization between two diploid wild grasses, T. urartu and a wild goatgrass such as Aegilops searsii or Ae. speltoides. The hybridization that formed wild emmer occurred in the wild, long before domestication.
Back to top Go down
Shades

Male
Number of posts : 148
Warnings :

PostSubject: Re: Canidae changed formulas   Canidae changed formulas Icon_minitimeFri 04 Jul 2008, 1:50 am

maybe i should start eating this stuff myself, better than my diet for sure
Back to top Go down
DIESEL

DIESEL

Female
Warnings :

PostSubject: Re: Canidae changed formulas   Canidae changed formulas Icon_minitimeFri 04 Jul 2008, 9:44 am

Yea, my dogs eat WAY better than my husband and I...Kinda sad actually! Our families think we are crazy :)
Back to top Go down
NesOne
NesOne

Male
Warnings :

PostSubject: Re: Canidae changed formulas   Canidae changed formulas Icon_minitimeTue 22 Jul 2008, 1:30 pm

Well I bought my 1st bag of the new formula this weekend. The bag is smaller 35 lbs. @ that same price of $34.99, however, it still filled up my food storage container like before. I have noticed that my dog seems to like it better. Before I would leave his bowl and he would wait until I was in the house to eat it, now as soon as I'm walking towards the door he's already wolfing it down. I guess only time will tell if there is a big difference, and as soon as I get around to cleaning up his stools, I'll let you guys know if it's different too... heck maybe I'll even take some pics of it biglaugh
Back to top Go down
Carriana
V.I.P.
Carriana

Female
Number of posts : 298
Personalized field : U.C.
Warnings :

PostSubject: Re: Canidae changed formulas   Canidae changed formulas Icon_minitimeWed 30 Jul 2008, 12:49 am

Okay, so it's been a week or two on the new formula....anyone noticing any digestion issues? I am hoping that Loki is just reacting to the change as though it was an entirely new dogfood, since he has sensativety issues, but he's been throwing up, a little (nothing like when we were feeding Beneful) and I think that maybe it's just because of the grass he is munching because the food is upsetting his tummy a bit. He's also got a bit of runnyness in his stool, but again, it could just be the change in diet. I hope.

Anyone else having issues?
Back to top Go down
bahamutt99
V.I.P.
bahamutt99

Female
Number of posts : 182
Personalized field : Glutton for Punishment
Warnings :

PostSubject: Re: Canidae changed formulas   Canidae changed formulas Icon_minitimeWed 30 Jul 2008, 4:13 am

My dogs have lighter, softer stools on the new formula, and are gassy more often than normal. I'm looking to see if we can make a change to Nature's Variety. The issues we're having aren't that severe, but I'm not happy that Canidae's being produced by Diamond now either.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/bahamutt99
NesOne
NesOne

Male
Warnings :

PostSubject: Re: Canidae changed formulas   Canidae changed formulas Icon_minitimeWed 30 Jul 2008, 1:27 pm

My dog's stools are a little softer too, but not too much that it smears all over the place when I pick it up, lol.

As far as them now being produced by Diamond, I'm going to be skeptical, and may just switch over to Orijen. The reason I'm thinking about changing is because of what is stated right on their website:

In light of the unfortunate pet food recall by other respectable pet food manufacturers, we want you, our valued customer, to feel secure with the continued use of our products. CANIDAE® Pet Foods in no way was, or is affected by the recall, nor are any of our products produced in any of the recalled production facilities.

That statement shows as updated for July 30, 2008. So, my question is are they going to use any of Diamond's production facilities, or not?
Back to top Go down
bahamutt99
V.I.P.
bahamutt99

Female
Warnings :

PostSubject: Re: Canidae changed formulas   Canidae changed formulas Icon_minitimeWed 30 Jul 2008, 6:23 pm

They're being rather tight-lipped about it, that's for sure. They probably know they already shot themselves in the foot by "improving" their formula and raising the price per pound at the same time. They don't want to completely kill consumer confidence by admitting they're having Diamond produce their food now.
Back to top Go down
Carriana
V.I.P.
Carriana

Female
Warnings :

PostSubject: Re: Canidae changed formulas   Canidae changed formulas Icon_minitimeWed 30 Jul 2008, 11:18 pm

I am not at all happy with this change. Loki's tummy troubles seem to be getting ever so slightly worse on a day to day basis.

This is a bummer too, since I thought I had found a quality kibble at a half decent price. What's comparable to the old formula of Canidae, and how much will it set me back?
Back to top Go down
bahamutt99
V.I.P.
bahamutt99

Female
Warnings :

PostSubject: Re: Canidae changed formulas   Canidae changed formulas Icon_minitimeThu 31 Jul 2008, 12:47 am

Go on the dog food analysis website. You can see other foods that are in that same "tier." (aka, 5-star foods) I've been looking at Nature's Variety, which is $40 for a 30 lb bag here, but they've supposedly got kennel packs. I haven't been able to find any info on that yet, though.
Back to top Go down
Carriana
V.I.P.
Carriana

Female
Warnings :

PostSubject: Re: Canidae changed formulas   Canidae changed formulas Icon_minitimeThu 31 Jul 2008, 12:52 am

What does a 30# bag last you like a week? How many dogs you have?

I think Canidae is only a four star. Not sure if it was always that way, but last time I looked it was lower than I thought it had been.
Back to top Go down
bahamutt99
V.I.P.
bahamutt99

Female
Warnings :

PostSubject: Re: Canidae changed formulas   Canidae changed formulas Icon_minitimeThu 31 Jul 2008, 9:06 am

Canidae all-life stages is a 5-star. The L&R and C&R formulas are lower. One is a 4-star and the other is a 3-star.

Its been a long time since I've bought a 30 lb bag of anything. Last time we got a bag that size, we were only feeding miss Loki, back in 2005, early 2006. A 40 lb bag of Canidae lasts us the better part of a month feeding 3 dogs.
Back to top Go down
NesOne
NesOne

Male
Warnings :

PostSubject: Re: Canidae changed formulas   Canidae changed formulas Icon_minitimeThu 31 Jul 2008, 12:42 pm

I checked out that site, and man talk about a lot of brands of dog food, I didn't know there was so many, LOL. I think I'm going to try out the Nature's Variety Prairie Lamb Meal, I called my local feed store, and they have a 30 lb. bag @ $40.

I have a question, Lamb Meal is suppose to be better against allergies, right? I notice my boy always nips at his genital area, and I don't think it's just a "guy" thing, lol. So I'm wondering if a Lamb Meal diet is better?
Back to top Go down
Carriana
V.I.P.
Carriana

Female
Warnings :

PostSubject: Re: Canidae changed formulas   Canidae changed formulas Icon_minitimeThu 31 Jul 2008, 11:59 pm

NesOne wrote:
I checked out that site, and man talk about a lot of brands of dog food, I didn't know there was so many, LOL. I think I'm going to try out the Nature's Variety Prairie Lamb Meal, I called my local feed store, and they have a 30 lb. bag @ $40.

I have a question, Lamb Meal is suppose to be better against allergies, right? I notice my boy always nips at his genital area, and I don't think it's just a "guy" thing, lol. So I'm wondering if a Lamb Meal diet is better?

Lamb and Rice is what vets will suggest if a dog has severe allergies. Let me know how Smokey does on that food. I might have to try it. How many *'s?
Back to top Go down
NesOne
NesOne

Male
Warnings :

PostSubject: Re: Canidae changed formulas   Canidae changed formulas Icon_minitimeFri 01 Aug 2008, 12:44 am

The Prairie kind is in the 5 * list, and the Instinct type is on the 6* list, which I'm sure will be alot more pricey. Once I run low on the Canidae, I'm going to try it out, which should be around mid August, since I have just a tad bit more than half left. I feed him 3 cups in the morning and 3 cups in the evening.

Another weird thing I noticed today, is that I went around picking up all his stools this afternoon approx. 5 pm, and when I went outside again around 7:30pm, there was 2 more little stacks, lol. One was brown and the other was darker, almost black. However, I can't say that it's not normal since I normally don't get here until 6:30pm most days. We'll just have to see how it goes.
Back to top Go down
Carriana
V.I.P.
Carriana

Female
Warnings :

PostSubject: Re: Canidae changed formulas   Canidae changed formulas Icon_minitimeFri 01 Aug 2008, 1:47 am

Loki's stool has been very yellow. I am not at all happy with the amount of gas or the fact that he is vomitting again. I switched to Canidae to avoid this problem! Actually, now that I think about it, he hasn't throw up in a couple days, so he must be getting used to it. But I am still not impressed generally speaking. I think I am going to put together a list of dogs foods I want to try from that analysis site and go do some price comparison this weekend.
Back to top Go down
NesOne
NesOne

Male
Warnings :

PostSubject: Re: Canidae changed formulas   Canidae changed formulas Icon_minitimeFri 01 Aug 2008, 12:04 pm

Cool deal, and if you have any feed stores in your area don't forget to check them out, sometimes they have better prices than the Petco's and Petsmart's.
Back to top Go down
NesOne
NesOne

Male
Warnings :

PostSubject: Re: Canidae changed formulas   Canidae changed formulas Icon_minitimeSat 23 Aug 2008, 2:48 pm

Well, I went ahead and bought a bag of the Nature's Variety Prairie (Chicken) it was a 30 lb. bag @ $39.99, with tax, $43.... I like the look of the kibble, it's dark and resembles the original Canidae.

I decided to switch, because Smokey's stool was too soft. At first it wasn't a big deal, but then it got too soft to the point where it would smush and get all over the place when I scooped it up. I guess I'll give another update in about 2 weeks or so, on his stool.
Back to top Go down
NesOne
NesOne

Male
Warnings :

PostSubject: Re: Canidae changed formulas   Canidae changed formulas Icon_minitimeWed 27 Aug 2008, 12:06 pm

No need to wait 2 weeks, yesterday when cleaning up his stool, there was no smushy mess, and that's that there is still a slight amount of Canidae still mixed in with the new stuff.

His stool is back to the way it was with the o.g. Canidae, dark and solid, scoops right up with ease, hahahahaha. Enjoy your next meal, LMAO.
Back to top Go down
bahamutt99
V.I.P.
bahamutt99

Female
Warnings :

PostSubject: Re: Canidae changed formulas   Canidae changed formulas Icon_minitimeWed 27 Aug 2008, 1:04 pm

After much searching, I found a place that carries the Nature's Variety kennel packs. Hopefully we can afford it, because I just don't like the yellow crap my dogs are pooping out.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Canidae changed formulas   Canidae changed formulas Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Canidae changed formulas
Page 1 of 1